DSG tips

Hi all, new here, made the move into Skoda ownership after family and friend recommendations.

We bought a two-year-old Fabia 1.0-litre with a DSG box a couple of months ago.  Always had a conventional auto for my wife, though I’m not too keen on them!  She hasn’t driven this one yet and I’m still trying to get to grips with how it behaves before giving her the best advice.  It’s a lovely smooth car in general but my issue is trying to get it to drive smoothly at low speeds, say round a car park or on the industrial estate where I work.  I’ve tried using is in S mode which is a little better and I’m experimenting with manual too.

I’ve seen some stuff about the quirks of the DSG, how it "learns" your style.  What I find the issue that's most noticeable is, say, turning into a side road when braking and coming down from D7 to D3, then it “jumps” to D2 as you turn the corner.  Any more advice about how to get the best from it and eliminating that jerk or clunk from D3 down to D2?   Maybe I’m just a bit gentle with it!

Thanks, Mark

Welcome.

If the car sits about or gets driven at a dealers, courtesy car, a partner drives it then you drive it it can not learn, but if you give it a bit of a spirited drive then it certainly becomes a bit more responsive like it have a 'reset'.  so just try that maybe when on your own after someone has driven it. 

Set off and see how it is and then have a bit of a blast and use the accelerator more and sharper and you might well feel the difference.

S can be good for crawling along and it not shuffling 1st to 2nd,  or to drop back to S when off the accelerator to slow without touching the brake, good in winter.

Or S to hold to a higher RPM before shifting up and when you want a move on.

As to coming down gears and slowing, maybe try knocking the shifter to M and drop gears. 

It is a Semi- Automatic really as VW identify them, even though a 2 pedal car and referred to as an automatic.