Superb L&K Estate 2016 Dangling Interior Rear Roof Light!

I was shocked the other day when for no reason the rear interior roof light was dangling on its cable. I also own a 2015 VW Golf Estate which has the exact same interior light so I knew which way round it had to go back. But there are two tiny black hooks sticking out inside the roof space which I did not notice the first time I pushed the light back in. So it fell out again! I am guessing the light has to be hinged back in a way for the black hooks to click in place, but there is no help anywhere. No mention about changing interior lights in the owners manual.

I cannot believe I am the only one who has had this problem, so could anyone help me with how to get the light back in place please. Nothing on YouTube either!

Many thanks.

Hello. Thank you for replying. It is the interior light in the centre of the roof between the front and rear seats. Behind the driver's head and infront of the rear passenger's head.

At the moment it is in place so I cannot photograph it dangling. But it's the complete light fitting.

I have attached a stock photo of what dangles!

Thank you.

20231013_170647.jpg

Thanks. This is what I did, but it was almost falling out again a week later. When I took it out I had a close look inside the hole in the roof.

I noticed two springy black plastic catches or hooks on the rear (tailgate) side and thought I may have pushed these in when I refitted the light. I think they are supposed to spring towards the light holding it up. But I think mine may have been forced wrongly when I tried to refit the light.

I tried to pull the catches back with some thread and may have at least managed to get one catch back.

Not sure if you know what I mean!

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here - the unit just fell out in my 2018 estate. I tried to clip it back in....it stays for a while but then falls again. I've secured it with some [strong] double-sided tape around the edge. It's been fine ever since (about 3 months now)

Thanks for your story Andy. Glad I'm not the only one affected. At the moment mine is in place but I could find it dangling on it's cord any time!

Will get it looked at at the next service. Very annoying though.

Think this was a build issue in 2018, i had the same issue as well. luckily for me it happened 6mths after getting car so was fixed under warranty ( entire roof was recovered so unsure what work was carried out, but it was fixed) good luck