Scala 1.0TSI Vs 1.5TSI

wales1975

I have recently purchased a 1.0TSI SE Scala. Is the 1.5TSI smoother on the motorway? I find i have some vibrations in the cabin with the 1.0. Could it be because its a 3 cylinder and not as smooth as a 4 cylinder? Not sure if i should return the car and pay the extra for a 1.5TSI SE L? Decisions, Decisions.  

14 hours ago, wales1975 said:

I have recently purchased a 1.0TSI SE Scala. Is the 1.5TSI smoother on the motorway? I find i have some vibrations in the cabin with the 1.0. Could it be because its a 3 cylinder and not as smooth as a 4 cylinder? Not sure if i should return the car and pay the extra for a 1.5TSI SE L? Decisions, Decisions.  

Welcome to the buyer's remorse club! :D

Make sure you haven't just got cold feet after committing yourself, but don't tie yourself to a car you don't like.

What was the deciding buying decision for choosing the 1.0?

Do you really have a problem with your 1.0 that the 1.5 will solve?

How long is the decision window that allows you to return the car open for?

You really ought not be noticing a 3 cylinder engine being lumpy at motorway speeds as will be doing nearer 3k revs.   You are talking engine doing 50 revs a second, so cylinders firing 33 times a second. Far too short to feel lumpiness in engine.
You might notice the thrum thrum at idle of nearer 800 revs.

If you are getting something lumpy and/or vibrating at motorway speeds it is more likely to be a badly balanced tyre, or one with a bulge or flaw, even a slightly buckled wheel.  Could even be faulty wheel bearing.

• Like 1

I have a 1.0TSi Scala and it is just as smooth as the 1.2TSi Seat Toledo (Skoda Rapid in disguise) which preceded it.  It doesn't have the torque the 1.2 had, that would happily bimble along at 30mph in 6th, but the 1.0 is a little more economical.  I certainly don't get vibrations at any speed, so I suspect that it's something other than the engine that is at the root of your issue.

• Like 1

Wheel size, tyres and road surface are likely sources of vibration at speed as well. Does it occur on all road surfaces, a limited speed range or what. If  the engine was the culprit  it would be apparent at a particular rev. range  rather than just at a certain speed. 

• Like 1

My only experience of the 1.0tsi was in a dealer loaned Fabia which I really liked although it not was not quite as smooth as the turbine-like smoothness of the 1.4tsi in my Octavia but still way smoother (imo) than the rental 3 cylinder 1.2l Corsa and I thought marginally smoother than Focus 1.0tsi I was once loaned in the UK.

What are your engine vibrations like at tickover, or when revved when the car is stationary? That removes the other possible factors that have been suggested by others when on the move.

Perhaps you could ask the dealers if you could drive another 1.0tsi to compare. You could also try a 1.5tsi to see if you like it :) 

All a bit of a faff but I know how disappointing it is to get a new car that just does not feel right. I had the same thing with another brand and getting rid of it after a year was the one positive when my employment situation changed.

Edited by Gerrycan