Xenon headlight issue

Fablukasz

Hi guys,

So I have had my Fabia VRS MK1 2006 for a couple of months now and I am loving it, however I've noticed my xenon headlights aim a bit low on the driver side, I noticed one of the adjustment screws had popped off so I was able to get epoxy and glue it back onto the metal shaft ensuring it didn't touch the headlight.

I did a couple of research on forums and to adjust them I had to go into VCDS and connect to module 55 and adjust them that way. However, no response from controller! I do hear the headlights whirring every couple of seconds but not adjusting. I do have a bulb warning on my dash but all the lights work. Could be rear levelling sensor be shot and where would this "Xenon Range" module be? I've checked the fuses and they all look ok. I am a bit stumped!

On 25/11/2023 at 10:39, Fablukasz said:

Hi guys,

So I have had my Fabia VRS MK1 2006 for a couple of months now and I am loving it, however I've noticed my xenon headlights aim a bit low on the driver side, I noticed one of the adjustment screws had popped off so I was able to get epoxy and glue it back onto the metal shaft ensuring it didn't touch the headlight.

I did a couple of research on forums and to adjust them I had to go into VCDS and connect to module 55 and adjust them that way. However, no response from controller! I do hear the headlights whirring every couple of seconds but not adjusting. I do have a bulb warning on my dash but all the lights work. Could be rear levelling sensor be shot and where would this "Xenon Range" module be? I've checked the fuses and they all look ok. I am a bit stumped!

On mine, one of the adjusters is still in the house. The plastic got worn away off the shaft.

Two things...

Load the boot with lots of stuff and see if the headlight aim goes up or adjusts.

All else fails there is a decent tolerance in the two torx screws holding the top of the headlight. Loosen, push backwards at the top front of the headlight as you re-tighten. Every little helps, etc....

I’ve adjusted them by the torx screws at the top and it did raise it a little bit, enough for it to pass mot.

I’ll try loading the boot up with stuff and see if it adjusts, hopefully the sensor at the back or the module isn’t busted… that’ll be expensive.

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2023 at 10:04, vindaloo said:

On mine, one of the adjusters is still in the house. The plastic got worn away off the shaft.

Two things...

Load the boot with lots of stuff and see if the headlight aim goes up or adjusts.

All else fails there is a decent tolerance in the two torx screws holding the top of the headlight. Loosen, push backwards at the top front of the headlight as you re-tighten. Every little helps, etc....

Well I have just noticed a couple of things on my xenon headlights.

The connector to the motor adjustment is corroded.

The entire reflector housing is moving, I don't know if it has popped out of the adjustment screws, is there any way to fix this?

Good thing is the passenger one works absolutely brilliant :)

2 minutes ago, delroy said:

When I was having issues with the bulb warning light always being on, I also had issues with VCDS not finding the range/level controller. A quick clean of the connector sorted it.

Have a look at this thread

Glad I’m not the only one having the issue!

I’ll have a look at it, thank you very much :)

I don't know if this is your problem but years ago so i can't remember exactly i went over a big pothole and my drivers side xenon started pointing down and it had popped off the locating lugs or whatever they are.

I ended up splitting the headlight so that i could push the reflector unit back on it's lugs

On 28/12/2023 at 19:30, DC2990 said:

I don't know if this is your problem but years ago so i can't remember exactly i went over a big pothole and my drivers side xenon started pointing down and it had popped off the locating lugs or whatever they are.

I ended up splitting the headlight so that i could push the reflector unit back on it's lugs

Yeah that happened to me as well, I managed to pop it back on without splitting the headlight just a lot of grunts and swear words.

Now to investigate the level sensor issue 😕

Hi there, i have the same issue with my 2017 Octavia VRS headlights. its almost like there is something flattening the beam when on dipped headlights. if the weather is bad and its dark it becomes very dangerous as you cannot see more than 10 metres or so in front. My wife refuses to drive the car at night, which I don't mind however it does interfere with the odd trip to the pub.

Any suggestion on how i may be able to raise my beam would be helpful.

2 hours ago, Krambone said:

Hi there, i have the same issue with my 2017 Octavia VRS headlights. its almost like there is something flattening the beam when on dipped headlights. if the weather is bad and its dark it becomes very dangerous as you cannot see more than 10 metres or so in front. My wife refuses to drive the car at night, which I don't mind however it does interfere with the odd trip to the pub.

Any suggestion on how i may be able to raise my beam would be helpful.

I know with mine I’ve got the xenon headlight range that I need to connect into via vcds and then into adjusting mode and then adjust it manually with the two white knobs on the headlight. I’m not sure if it might be the same with the Octavia? 

However, on my headlight the reflector popped out of the ball joint for the adjuster and it’s been ok for now.

• Like 1