Low oil pressure after oil change, Suspicious mechanic

Hey Skoda folks!

Just got my 2014 Rapid back from an normal oil change. Weird enough the car started to make weird noises after this service. The mechanic called, saying they're hesitant to drive it because of a loud rattling noise after the service (before it was all good). Well I drove to the place, checked it myself, and it was making a terrible noise indeed. Drove it a short distance, and bam, low oil pressure warning with a red alert.

Mechanic and the chief couldn't figure out the issue righ there but the chief suggested changing the chain asap and told that it is the only reason behind it. Things started to sound suspicious, since the chain would have probably given some fault codes, and I didn't want to leave my car there, so called a tow truck to take it to an authorized mechanic. Also their car inspection tool did not get any fault codes from the car even the car monitor showed a low oil pressure warning. 

Any idea how likely it is that the chain loosens up the second it has been serviced? What else could be causing this, and what questions should I ask the authorized mechanic? The mechanic shop opens next monday so I have plenty of time to think about this.

Crazy day! Thanks for any help.

5 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Which engine type?

I think the 1.2 TSI has a common 'gotcha' where a seal gets left behind by the old oil filter and screws things up with similar symptoms. 

Oh jeez forgot the most important thing from the post. But yeah it has a 1.2 TFSI. 

I read something about this but really makes me wonder how could they not notice this. 

So maybe the timing chain is ok after all? Maybe they will check it also at the authorized dealer.

Thanks!

Edited by f1tz

13 minutes ago, f1tz said:

Maybe they will check it also at the authorized dealer.

Ask them to check the oil filter seal. They should be familiar with the problem. 

Bet the chain is OK.

Edited by Breezy_Pete

Timing chain will not cause lack of oil pressure, the missing seal will.

However the lack of oil pressure will definitely cause timing chain rattle and also top end tappet noise.

I feel so sad for those who have no choice but to put their vehicles in the hands of garages, many would be better off running them into the ground and never even having the oil and filter changed compared to the damage that all too frequently occurs when they pay supposed professionals to do it.

35 minutes ago, f1tz said:

Also their car inspection tool did not get any fault codes from the car even the car monitor showed a low oil pressure warning. 

That just about sums up the level of stupidity, they do an oil and filter change, the engine knocks and the low oil pressure warning light come on, do they question what they did? No they expect a fault code reader to tell them whats wrong!!!

Shame there is not an OBDII code for incompetent mechanic.

• Like 1

I had my local 'trusted' garage do the service on my 1.2TSi (Toledo) to be fair to them they are on the whole ok. The 2nd service I had with them was different, they left the sealing ring in from the previous oil filter, it had dropped off the filter. So I had 2 sealing rubbers in there, I only realised when doing the next service myself. No harm done there but I guess no sealing ring could spell trouble.

Missed a couple of air box screws too, lazy mechanic presumed lost them and couldn't be arsed to replace. They did get me some spares and fitted them pretty swiftly though.

Allright. Got the car back from the authorized shop. They switched the oil filter to an OEM one. Problem gone for now.

I will still look forward and listen carefully if something shows up. I hope the idle with a faulty oil filter did not do any harm to the engine.  

I guess I will now inform the other mechanic that they made a service mistake and ask for a refund of some kind. Lets see how it ends. 

Thank you all for the help!