Egr valve

Hi guys, Friday night on the way home the glow plug light came on flashing then loss of power into limp mode. I got it plugged in and brought up the code P0403. I took the egr valve off and cleaned it, got the code wiped took it out Saturday and seemed ok. Got in it this morning and more or less straight away the light came back on and into limp mode.. any help is appreciated. Stuck on what to do, Christmas round the corner and can’t afford a new unit or time off work (self employed) 

pictures are before cleaning IMG_4579.thumb.jpeg.f57978d0a4683790a7ce112c7deeb86f.jpegIMG_4579.thumb.jpeg.f57978d0a4683790a7ce112c7deeb86f.jpegIMG_7790.thumb.jpeg.e8ff852f10a5270dd2a81a711808eaad.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

Edited by Jackparker23
Specify before cleaning

• 2 weeks later...

That's not the egr valve, that's the throttle body which is part of the utter pain in the @rse egr system. The egr valve is almost totally inaccessible on the rear side of the engine. I had all this headache for a second time very recently! Fix for me was to clean all that cr@p from the throttle body, get the ecu software rolled back to pre emissions scandal software and fit a egr valve defeat device from a company called tafmet in Poland, therefore completely removing the egr valve operation. All cost around £360 which is cheaper than getting the egr valve replaced at a garage. I'm a fairly competent diyer but replacing the egr valve is quite an involved job! Hope this is of some use.

J.R. was very helpful with info on this and might give you some advice as well?

I cant see a butterfly in that photo and I dont recall having that probe or whatever it is in the bore of my throttle valve.

But it looks more like the throttle valve than the EGR.

• 4 weeks later...

cega engine? I have the same setup, egr at front of engine with throttle flap bolted underneath it, non censored cooler at back of engine.

Take the black lid off the top of the egr (5/6 torx), then inside you'll access the motor etc. You'll see another 5/6 torx, undo them then you'll find more gunk that's making the valve stay stuck open.

Cleaning just what you can see in your picture won't solve it.

Strip apart and you'll see the problem straight away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udXmu-CNScM

Edited by Kris82
Added info
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve just started my car up this evening and the code has come up yet again, causing it to go into limp mode! So would you advise cleaning it as stated above or the throttle body? 

Thanks

Take egr out and take the lid off the egr and you'll see the problem as video shows.