Loss of electrics on one rear door - Yeti 1.8tsi 2010

aka_pseudonym

The offside rear door of my Yeti has lost all electrical communication with the rest of the car!  The window no longer goes up and down, the dash display doesn't know if it is open or closed, it doesn't lock, it doesn't trigger the internal lights.  All other doors are fine.

I've looked at the wiring diagrams for it and it seems each section of the canbus (I²C?) has its own positive and negative so I don't know how all these things could have failed together.  Is there a main earth connection somewhere?  Or something else?  I'm bemused.  Any advice very much appreciated.

Drivers front door loop will have fractured wires inside.

Unless perchance the door in question is in regular use in which case check there as well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

Drivers front door loop will have fractured wires inside.

Unless perchance the door in question is in regular use in which case check there as well.

Thanks for the reply JR.  I'll get a repair kit and fit it when the weather is less wet.  Are the Febi/Bilstein ones the best option?  I have crimp tools etc - might as well do it properly.  It happened after a hard frost when the doors were frozen shut - I wonder if that was a factor.

Have a look before you go spending any money.

That said its no bad thing to have one in stock, it will be needed one day, if only I could recall where I stored mine!

I bought the cheapest as usual, not used so cant say how good but the wires are flexible enough, different colour codes though I think, that doesnt bother me.

The kits fit any door - front/rear/left/right - cheap or expensive.  I think it has to be a break somewhere because it's intermittent - the door is triggering the interior lights again today which it wasn't yesterday.  I expect the day before I get around to sorting it it'll all decide to work perfectly!  My Yeti had a brand new full engine compliments of Skoda only four years ago so it's worth the trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

CAB BUS works on two wires, CAN H(igh) band CAN (L)ow and if one breaks most stuff will continue to work, it's when the 2nd one breaks it all goes tits up - and they do!

Had to repair both my door looms. Front passenger door went completely first and a scan with Carista showed a fault on the drivers door where one wire was found broken.

They were very skinny wires, considerably smaller gauge than the other wires in the loom, almost designed to fail! 

HI all, thanks for letting me join.....been perusing for years but this is my first post

- im having a similar n/s door problem - but find myself in a bit more of a pickle! .....My issue is that i cant access the passenger side door loom...the recent sub-zero cold snap lead to the electrics on that side playing up ...windows wouldn't come down, electric mirror wouldn't adjust and the doors (front and rear) wouldn't lock - seemed to right itself with the help of multiple opening/closing/locking - but now in limbo as the doors are permanently locked! - no amount of fiddling with the fob / centre console release / central locking fuse etc makes any difference - doors are locked shut - so i cant actually get at the loom and im now in no mans land! .....any suggestions would be very gratefully received,,,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming back to this as I've so far done nothing more.  I blame the weather and the thought of sitting outside with the car door open getting soaked.

I'd like to replace the loom in the driver's door as, if it hasn't been the cause of the present problems (which I suspect it has), I'm sure it'll fail at some point.  But new ones are silly prices (>£200), and a repair kit is just as much as second hand looms from breakers.  So I'm going to attempt to spot one of the updated ones - longer bellows and drop fittings - and hopefully it won't have any issues.  I have questions:

I've decoded my car's option codes and I have "8RM = 8 speakers (passive)".  Is that "normal"?

Is there anything else that can vary between models which would affect the loom?

Is there a "free" way of finding the option codes attached to a vehicle's VIN which breakers often quote?

Is the same loom used on any other Skoda models - or even better models across the VAG range?

All help gratefully received!