Skoda Connect expiry

Woodentop19

We bought an ex demo Karoq diesel at the end of February this year. It is a MY22 version and was first registered on 29th September last year.

I have this evening received an email from Skoda to say that the Skoda Connect service is about to expire. I was under the impression that it would last at least for the first year of ownership or maybe even as long as the original three-year warranty lasts.

I will contact the dealer in the morning but does anyone have any thoughts of what I will loose if I don't renew assuming I have misunderstood where I stand contractually? Specifically:-

Does the map system (Amundsen) stop updating?

Will I still get the active display of the road situation ahead (works, accident, delays etc?)

Does the eSim emergency system and breakdown call continue to work?

I don't require any remote monitoring of the car although my Skoda ID account seems to show that it is being monitored. I don't want extra on-screen icons using the link system, all I want is the ability to listen to the radio or play music from a memory stick both of which I can do, and I use Bluetooth for normal phone calls.

Woody

Harrogate

The Skoda Connect system has the following functions:

1) The eCall emergency call system, which will work for the life of the car at no cost to yourself.

2) The Proactive Service (Breakdown calls and Info calls using the buttons above the interior mirror) which will work for the first 10 years at no cost to yourself.  This also includes obtaining a health report for your car via the app, Service Scheduling via the app, Online Personalisation to store your personal settings, and online system updates for the infotainment system - but the last is only for the app and shop settings, not map updates!

3) The Remote Access service is only free for the first year, and then has to be renewed annually. This lets you lock your car and receive messages from it via the app such as driving data, last parking position, vehicle status (doors & windows closed and locked and whether the lights are off) and anti-theft alarms. You can also sound the horn and flash the lights via the app to help you find your car in a big car park, as well as receiving area and speed notifications if you want to monitor someone else who is driving your car. You can also generate digital certificates recording your car's service history and mileage.

4) The Infotainment Online service is only free for the first year, and then has to be renewed annually. This provides regular map updates whenever you drive into a region that has been updated (typically I receive these every few months), online traffic information, nearby parking spaces and costs, nearby petrol stations and fuel costs, online route navigation avoiding traffic delays, online voice control if you want to talk to Laura, and sending a destination from the app to the car.

I find the latter 2 worth the £80 or so each year, but others who prefer to use their phones instead will disagree.

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...