TDI 2.0 engine noise, something faulty?

A couple of weeks ago noticed an odd sound from the engine, only hear it outside of the car. I haven’t come around to open the hood yet but it seems to be coming from the region of passenger side in the front. Any ideas what might cause this noise? Car runs like normal.

Car is an 2017 estate 4x4 2.0 TDI

Thanks

You have had 2 weeks and you haven't even opened the bonnet to listen to and hopefully hear and see the noise source from closer but you want complete strangers to diagnose it from a 3 second mobile phone sound recording.

You have not given your location so we do not know which side is the passenger side of your vehicle, whether the noise is coming from the crankshaft pulley or flywheel end of the engine.

I suggest you open the bonnet and listen closer, while you are there you can check the fluid levels, take another sound recording from closer if you cannot deduce the source of the noise, you have real ears and eyes close to the source, or at least will have once you open the bonnet, far better than others listening to a recording played back from a computer or phone.

If the passenger side is the crankshaft pulley end try switching off the aircon and see if the noise goes away or changes, if the flywheel end try depressing the clutch and engaging a gear for the same reason.

Sorr

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You have had 2 weeks and you haven't even opened the bonnet to listen to and hopefully hear and see the noise source from closer but you want complete strangers to diagnose it from a 3 second mobile phone sound recording.

You have not given your location so we do not know which side is the passenger side of your vehicle, whether the noise is coming from the crankshaft pulley or flywheel end of the engine.

I suggest you open the bonnet and listen closer, while you are there you can check the fluid levels, take another sound recording from closer if you cannot deduce the source of the noise, you have real ears and eyes close to the source, or at least will have once you open the bonnet, far better than others listening to a recording played back from a computer or phone.

If the passenger side is the crankshaft pulley end try switching off the aircon and see if the noise goes away or changes, if the flywheel end try depressing the clutch and engaging a gear for the same reason.

Sorry heard it then for the first time and thought it might be temporary, then again tonight with car packed with kids in the dark… Thanks for your advice, will check closer tomorrow

Aircon pulley shear plate, alternator one way sprag clutch or dual mass flywheel would be my guesses.

• Like 1

I don't know and don't care at all...If I find by accident and is easy to fix,dirt cheap I'll do.

This engine wich I think is a good one souds very bad at idle.The vacuum pump sounds like grinding at low temperature ,the flywheel has a  light clatter noise also,the exhaust flap rattles like hell sometimes (I sprayed some cooper lube and I guess is gone)....all are normal.

I had another squeak with the timing belt tensioner,but I replaced the kit and is gone.

It takes 10 to 20km to propper warm up the engine and to get quiet.The good part is none is present in the cabin.

• Like 1