Mk3 Fabia Number Plate Bulb Holder Corroded

bris24

Hi,  On a 2015 Fabia 1.4TDI Hatch one of the number plate bulb holders (RHS) is badly corroded and the body work that the holder fits into is rusting with the paint blistering.  The other bulb holder and body work (LHS) are fine.  Also the bulb holder was so badly corroded that in removing the electrical connector the metal parts of the holder broke leaving part of the bulb holder contact pins in the connector.  See below.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

The bulb holders is held in by a spring clip which had disappeared on the corroded side so I think the seal between the holder and the body was not very good so letting water in.  I now have to remove a contact pin from the connector.  I managed to get one broken pin out with a pliers but the other is flush with the surface and I couldn't pull it out with the pliers.  So any thoughts on how I might be able to remove it or could I just push it further in?  Also are replacement electrical connectors available?

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3ccfb01bd57efc5f356265bb71f13f.jpeg

On blowing your photo up it looks the connector might be held together by a very small torx screw but there are also slots under the connector pins that might (or might not) be some sort of release or removal of the pins or sockets - but I don't know and all would be too small for my eyes in real life.  Bear in mind removing the connector block will have a live pin/wire terminal when the lights are on and usual precautions with car electrics.

You might be able to clean and reuse part or all of the connector and get new pins, or get a new connector the same/similar-enough, or If you're not too worried about originality and there the rom to do so you might be able to change to another type of connector 

bbhb.jpeg.7fbcb3c732f18ee6a473b05164d6e79f.jpeg  

@Breezy_Pete and others would be best for advice on this.

For me it'd be interesting to know what caused this as my wife's car is a 2015 and has already annoyed me too many times with it's German engineering quality but this might not originate from a manufacturer's fault perhaps.

Good luck.

Hi, many thanks for the reply. I have ordered a new bulb holder and connector from Skoda.  Pick them up on Saturday. I am not sure exactly what the connector will consist of but it seems to be a spare that is often supplied with the bulb holder. I will keep you posted.

• Thanks 1

You might want to add a dab of something to keep the water out an/or help against crud formation on the connector and/or metal pins and sockets.

Yes, I am planning to coat the male and female part of the connector with vaseline. Unless there's something better? Also it looked very likely water was leaking in between the bulb holder and the car body possibly caused by the missing spring clip. Considering using sealant between these surfaces to ensure it is water tight?

Yes a right mess.  Have you got a leak/water ingress.

I prefer to use Contralube 770 a small sachet will last ages, I apply with a very small artist brush (£1 packet of 10). - https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p/contralube-770-the-terminal-connector

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have now replaced the number plate bulb (Pt.No.K1K9943021D £18.90 inc vat from Skoda) Also needed to replace the connector on the end of the wiring loom.  I got a connector from Skoda (Pt.No.K8w0971832 £5.64 inc VAT).  Unfortunately this was only the connector casing ie no pins!  Pins on wire tails are available from Skoda.  But I searched on 8W0972575 (the male connector Pt.No.) and I found that I could get the male connector and mating female connector with wire tails from Total Auto Connectors (PA Products)  for £7.98 inc Vat with next day delivery.  So I cut off the existing male connector and spliced in the new male connector.  Also I bought some Permatex Dielectric Grease which I put on the electric connections.

Hopefully this will last for a while.

• Thanks 1

I had to take off the tailgate trim to do the wiring.  Everything looked Ok; there was no staining or indication of water ingress.  As I mentioned the spring clip on the corroded bulb holder was missing and the paintwork around the bulb holder also showed corrosion so possibly the water had got in between the bulb holder and the tailgate.  The other bulb holder was fine.

• Thanks 1