Help with weird noise.

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help I’m not car savvy at all and this is my first car and no one else drives in my family. I recently drove down the Motorway and then parked at home for two hours after the two hours there is now this horrendous vibrating noise beneath my feet only stops when I accelerate or am doing a fair a bit of speed, lower gears and speeds it’s noticeable and doesn’t go away with clutch depression.

it’s a Skoda fabia 2016 S nothing on the dashboard either.

18 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Welcome.

Sorry no idea. Hopefully others can help.

What is it you have, a 1.2 TSI or is it a MPI or a TDI? 

How many miles has it done?

Hello thanks for responding to me it’s 62k miles MPI.

1 hour ago, Zak13 said:

there is now this horrendous vibrating noise beneath my feet only stops when I accelerate or am doing a fair a bit of speed,

No certainty, but look under the engine bay and see if there's a loose undertray or cable tray that's flapping in the slipstream. The last time I had anything like this a local garage fixed it for £5 in their coffee swindle.

Edited by Paws4Thot
  • Like 1

@Zak13perhaps you could put up a video or audio recording of this noise (using a very open and easy platform (if platform is the right word) as it could be a lot of things.

Have you done a good visual check of your wheels, tyres and brakes and all around them and the underside of the car?

Have you been driving in or over thick mud?

Fabia Mk3 S, 62k-miles, 1.0 lire(?), 3-cylinder, 5-speed manual gearbox(?)? 

What is the history of your car, has it been fully serviced, maintained and repaired, were the services done in a timely manner and fully, assuming it's a petrol engine spark plugs changed, engine air filter changed, brake fluid, brakes, tyres, etc., etc.. ?

On something like this the more information you can give the easier it might be to diagnosis remotely and over a website.

8 minutes ago, nta16 said:

What is the history of your car, has it been fully serviced, maintained and repaired, were the services done in a timely manner and fully, assuming it's a petrol engine spark plugs changed, engine air filter changed, brake fluid, brakes, tyres, etc., etc.. ?

On something like this the more information you can give the easier it might be to diagnosis remotely and over a website.

Are you having a laugh?

Your posts add enough irrelevance to a thread without grooming the OP.

Please dont ask him to take a photograph of the oil from his dipstick on a kleenex like you have done before.

The OP can decide which posts to follow or ignore.

You are the one trying to groom me into your ways despite my obvious total resistance to it, please give up on trying to groom me it will never work.

As often happens you are inaccurate and pervert things I have put, I use the word pervert in both its senses when applying it to you and what you have put, please be more careful and do not over step any boundaries of decent exchanges, you would not  repeatedly say such things if we were face to face I'm sure.

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

@Zak13perhaps you could put up a video or audio recording of this noise (using a very open and easy platform (if platform is the right word) as it could be a lot of things.

Have you done a good visual check of your wheels, tyres and brakes and all around them and the underside of the car?

Have you been driving in or over thick mud?

Fabia Mk3 S, 62k-miles, 1.0 lire(?), 3-cylinder, 5-speed manual gearbox(?)? 

here is a link it got serviced in may last 

• Thanks 1

Your service last May might be different but often a service just means an engine oil & filter change, and with a Dealership a "free visual health check" that can list just about anything they think they can get revenue and profit on.  Changing the engine oil & filter is just one small part of full servicing, maintenance and repair.  As it's three cylinder anything a bit off with sparking on one is a third of what's available.

I can hear some thing on the video that on my machine to my ears sounds like a knocking sound but not clear enough to know if it's from engine, exhaust or other things but someone with better hearing and mechanical knowledge may pick up on this a lot more than I ever could.

@Rooted and others may know or have access to more general issues with the Fabia 1.0 lire 3-cylinder or be able to identify the noise.

41 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Your service last May might be different but often a service just means an engine oil & filter change, and with a Dealership a "free visual health check" that can list just about anything they think they can get revenue and profit on.  Changing the engine oil & filter is just one small part of full servicing, maintenance and repair.  As it's three cylinder anything a bit off with sparking on one is a third of what's available.

I can hear some thing on the video that on my machine to my ears sounds like a knocking sound but not clear enough to know if it's from engine, exhaust or other things but someone with better hearing and mechanical knowledge may pick up on this a lot more than I ever could.

@Rooted and others may know or have access to more general issues with the Fabia 1.0 lire 3-cylinder or be able to identify the noise.

Okay I’ve booked into Halfords 10 point check

49 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Also on re reading it was a major service idk if that helps

28 minutes ago, Zak13 said:

Okay I’ve booked into Halfords 10 point check

I'm not sure that will help but perhaps I'm wrong.

Wait a while for more *and better replies. * = sorry I missed Rooted's reply.

20 minutes ago, Zak13 said:

Also on re reading it was a major service idk if that helps

In itself not a lot more, and I forget what extra you get in a Dealership, do you have the invoices for the services which should include details like parts replaced, materials and work done.

This doesn't solve your knocking issue directly at least but will help with your ownership and understanding of the car.

Do you have any warranty with the car you can use or call back on the seller?

Edited by nta16

@Zak13 did you follow up on the previous suggestions from other posters earlier and done the visual checks I suggested and the usual driver's checks like checking level and colour of brake fluid, level and colour of coolant, engine oil level, etc., etc.?   Plenty (less than others with VWSkoda) info in the car's Owner's Manual, if you don't have the paper printed copy here's a link to freely available pdf download from Skoda. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

You can check for any Recalls (that VWSkoda have admitted to) here. -  https://www.skoda-auto.com/services/recall-campaigns

And some 'Updates' here. - https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

27 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I'm not sure that will help but perhaps I'm wrong.

If it's the Halfords 10 Point Winter Car Check you can do all, or perhaps almost all, of that yourself and you should be doing it as the owner/driver anyway, it's all very easy.  If you need any help or advice on any of it you only need to ask, no one was born knowing, there are no silly questions only silly not to ask them.

"What's Included

Edited by nta16

30 minutes ago, nta16 said:

If it's the Halfords 10 Point Winter Car Check you can do all, or perhaps almost all, of that yourself

And none of those checks other than tyres and oil level would be the cause of "car making a noise" anyway.

• Like 2

I'm from a family that didn't own or drive cars (or have more than day trips for holidays.

The following videos are for general help and can be viewed, if you want to view them, at your leisure.

This video covers how to check your tyre tread depth without a tyre tread depth gauge. - Check Tread Depth of Tyre: Wear Markers, Gauge, 20p (EASY!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1D7iJOgE0

And general tips and simple advice on Fabia Mk3 videos. - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHH-B9onXpOqdKjFA815CBd7YB4hocem5

10 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

And none of those checks other than tyres and oil level would be the cause of "car making a noise" anyway.

Any thoughts about the noise on the video?

Why are you continuing to drown the poor OP in irrelevancies like the colour of his brake fluid and engine coolant and how to check tyre tread depth amongst myriad others?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Why are you continuing to drown the poor OP in irrelevancies like the colour of his brake fluid and engine coolant and how to check tyre tread depth amongst myriad others?

I think it’s solved I took it to Halfords my brake fluid is apparently got oil in it, the exhaust clamp needs renewing and something about my wishbones are close to needing done

its £130 for the clamp and brake fluid change 

@Zak13  Beware.   Halfords....

Do you have in writing  'Brake fluid has apparently got oil in it' ?     Question this one, not H20 in it? 

Wish bones are something you might want a Mechanic to check and not some Fitter @ Halfords or any tyre and exhaust centre other than if the MOT Examiner. 

6 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Zak13  Beware.   Halfords....

Do you have in writing  'Brake fluid has apparently got oil in it' ?     Question this one, not H20 in it? 

Wish bones are something you might want a Mechanic to check and not some Fitter @ Halfords or any tyre and exhaust centre other than if the MOT Examiner. 

Yeah he said water and oil don’t mix so I need the change urgently as my breaks will be spongy.

47 minutes ago, Zak13 said:

Yeah he said water and oil don’t mix so I need the change urgently as my breaks will be spongy.

This may be a sign that the (whole) car hasn't been fully and properly serviced in a timely manner as brake fluid changes were/are IIRC at 3-years old then every 2 years after but some owners prefer to test for moisture (water) content and change relying on the testing machine which for some are very cheap Chinese made stuff that may or may not be reliable or others owners simply don't bother even though brakes are THE most important thing on a car.

Exhaust clamp renewed may get rid of some or all of the sound on the video.

I agree that I'd get a 2nd opinion on the wishbones, the car needs to be on a lift with the car's weight fully on the wheels and even then it might get tested to an MoT standard which is a minimum statutory standard and doesn't mean things are good or you won't have noises from there or other places.

From what I've read here and personal experience with my wife's 2016 Fabia Mk3s seem to have a noises (knocks, squeaks, rattles) from under the car mainly noticeable when going down potholes or over speed humps.  Some of these noises never seem to get tracked down despite the owners having lots of work done over a period of time.

That is not to say you have or haven't got issues with your wishbones.

The important things on a car are brakes (always number 1) steering and suspension (all three include tyres, then safety electrics like wipers, lights, horn, etc. (see and be seen) then things like the engine.

If you want to and if there is someone on the list that can help (often for free or beer-tokens) you could ask if they could plug in their scan tool and give you a report from the car's computers and if wanted delete any stored error codes after recording the report to see if any return. - Briskoda VCDS Owners Map (click me)

Final note - do not wait for dash board warning lights, by the time some of them come on you have already left it too late, as much as possible prevent these warnings from appearing by reading the Owner's Manual and carrying out, as required, servicing, maintenance and repairs to the car as a whole and not just the engine.

Good luck, let us knw how you are getting on.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Hopefully now you can understand why.

Your very narrow approach doesn't always work but carry on with it for the times it does or you just want to but don't keep trolling me please.

As with other times you have contributed nothing positive to this thread.

You have just trolled me.

You did not give any comment (or instant answer) to the video the OP put up.

You just trolled me for a second time in this thread.

You answer threads in your way and leave me to do the same, please stop continuously trolling me especially when you aren't going to add anything else to the thread.

You have a narrow view to the threads I have a much wider, both can be right or wrong or more or less appropriate to any threads or posts and you, I and others can choose to accept or ignore any posts or things in the posts, so please stop trolling me.

I don't know how much clearer I can make things to you.

Edited by nta16

5 hours ago, nta16 said:

Hopefully now you can understand why.

Your very narrow approach doesn't always work but carry on with it for the times it does or you just want to but don't keep trolling me please.

As with other times you have contributed nothing positive to this thread.

You have just trolled me.

You did not give any comment (or instant answer) to the video the OP put up.

You just trolled me for a second time in this thread.

You answer threads in your way and leave me to do the same, please stop continuously trolling me especially when you aren't going to add anything else to the thread.

You have a narrow view to the threads I have a much wider, both can be right or wrong or more or less appropriate to any threads or posts and you, I and others can choose to accept or ignore any posts or things in the posts, so please stop trolling me.

I don't know how much clearer I can make things to you.

See this is the report

IMG_9705.png