Skoda rapid poor Mpg 1.2 tsi 110

Hello Guys I've owned my 2017 1.2 tsi 110 manual spaceback for a round 6 months and I've done 3000 miles in that time. I don't think  the mpg or consumption is as good as it should be. I only use e5 fuel. I do mostly street driving with a bit of occasional motorway. The display says I'm averaging 42mpg overall not too bad I dont think ? But my fuel gauge goes down like I'm driving a V8 ( which I've owned before so I know) you can see it going down even after my 8 mile commute to work ! Please see attached image my gauge was just on the full mark now its here after 17 miles.  Seems suspect to me just wondered your guys thoughts cheers! 

20240103_181513.jpg

Edited by Templar23

What is the actual average you get from a tank brim to brim, or how many miles do you get for litres filled. 

Your oil is not at an efficient operating temp in 8 miles, does it get to an indicated 92 *oC if you check?

Oil not coolant.

How many miles has the car done and have the spark plugs been replaced at 4 years / 40,000 miles, or even looked at?

Is there a nice clean air filter in the air filter box? 

Which E5 petrol do you use 97 min or 99 min?

Roosted beat me to it!

Was also going to suggest a tank-to-tank mpg exercise. 42mpg sounds about right but I've found that displayed mpg is usually very optimistic. How many miles do you get to a full tank? 

I have the earlier 1.2tsi, and usually average mid 40's mpg with a mix of town and country roads. I get around 500 miles before filling up. My fuel gauge takes ages to drop from the full mark, so there is definitely something strange with yours. I assume you fill it until the forecourt pump clicks and cuts off? 

• Like 1

As above post fuel usage with my Toledo 12.Tsi. The fuel tank absolutely full the gauge won't move off the full mark (long journey) for around 50 miles, that's probably around 1 gallon used.

Edited by MickA

Thanks for the replys guys I'm going to do a brim to brim mpg exercise as you both suggest ! I'm going to use tesco 99 e5 . And work out the mpg myself . Last time I filled the car I'm sure I only just got 400 miles to a tank .

Its done 28 thousand miles new air filter in last week the plugs are original I think I pulled one today to see what they look like a light grey / tan colour.  Im going to put a new set in because of thier age. And go from there 

I will check my oil temp in the morning after my commute . 

I've had diesels for a long time I thought it just might be me being used to diesel economy buy this rapid just doesn't seem good enough to me mpg wise everything else about the car is spot on ! 

I find it difficult to achieve close to 50mpg in winter even on a longer run. More like low 40's around town too if lucky.

Summer however it's a lot better, I've had mid 50's (once 60mpg but driving at no more than 60mph on motorways) and definitely mid to high 40's mixed driving.

Mines done 36k miles in 9 years, no spark plug changes yet but a probability this year, the oil gets changed every 5k miles approx which equates to for me annually.

Edited by MickA

I should add that if you have access to VCDS it is possible to adjust the accuracy of the on-board mpg display.

When I bought my car and drove it home, slowly and carefully, I was amazed to see 68mpg for the journey. However, actual mpg was 9% less 🙁 Now I've adjusted it, it's within 1% of actual most of the time.