Hello,

New post for a new problem lets get it!

So the horrible sound on startup (cold) is available to watch on youtube! A 10-15 second video of pure ear ache. The sound dies down significantly after it reaches good temperature. The sound increases in nastiness as I rev, but is almost hone when fully warmed up. 

Spoke to a mechanic that would charge me £300 for labour (he needs his partner in crime to get it done)  I have heard that these are unlikely to jump and screw the engine, but I don’t want to risk it so I am letting the Fabia sit idle until the repair session is due. Maybe he will do less, he is my closest friend's pops. 

I have picked up this kit from trusty amazon; https://amzn.to/41NELG4 

I’d take any recommendations for parts if this isn’t what I need. 

Here is the link for the show; 

I'm taking any 2 pennies worth of opinions, foresight and passing comments. 

God I love these Fabias. 

I don't really see a proper question.

Therefore:

Is the horrible noise the camchain? Yes.

Have I bought the correct parts? Yes.

My mates dad is gonna fit it for £300. Ok.

• Like 1

Who needs a proper Question?

We had enough of those at school...

Nevertheless, parts arrived. For future reference I hope someone that has this ruckus going on can instantly understand what’s going on, I’ll get my old chain and components back to show you guys what it looked like, although I don’t know how much indication of wear a chain can show. 

What’s really weird though, I started the car yesterday for a few moments, sounded completely fine. Drove it around, not too bad either. Warmed up, it sounded even better. Very perplexing considering the previous 3-4 cold starts sounded like I was blending stones.

Delayed a bit because I think the mechanic was messing me about. 

650 for parts and labour 

350 just labour? And not in a garage but mobile???

My kit was only £68… 

Went back to the  mechanic that done my old Fabia’s bushings and control arms.  £280 labour. Not bad. 

Will update further Tuesday. 

“If you wanna do it in a garage it’s gonna cost you an arm and a leg.” 

I’m not surprised since another ‘friend’ charged me £300 to change a water pump and serpentine belt.  Maybe these guys just don’t like me lmao. 

It's not a question of liking you or not, this may come as a surprise both to you and frankly a lot of the other people on here, but here goes:

THEY'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY!

It's a horrible job and no-one is interested in doing it unless they're going to make a decent profit on it.

Good luck finding someone to do it on a labour only basis since half of the profit is in the margin on the parts.

Car mechanics prioritise profit over anything else, if you don't want to pay much then they don't want the job.

Ok?

• Like 1

Yeah I hear it completely. 

I have the car back now, the mechanic charged me £280 labour. I think that’s a great price. But still, trying to charge me 650 total for a job like this and claiming that the parts would cost anywhere near £300 seems a bit iffy to me. Nevertheless. My baby is purring; for a fraction of the price...

I will upload a cold start tomorrow for before and after...

He also advised to change the engine oil and filter to keep the new chain fresh, I know there’s a post in here about which oil to get so I will dive in a bit and try to find it. 

I will respond here with the oil and filter link for future reference.

So far my repair expenses for the car are as follows

ignition coil, water pump, timing kit & sealant = £30 + £45 + £65 & £15 = £155

Labour for coil + water pump(mobile repair), Labour for timing chain(garage repair)= £70 + £280 = £350 

Total so far = £505 

Tbh around here a handful of mechanics are happy to let customers source their own parts, a lot of the time we have golden methods of getting them at a crazy discounted rate, I actually got my timing chain kit for free so we can minus £65 from the £280 I paid making it a mere £215! every little helps. 

For now here’s a video of it after I drove the car back and parked up, you can see the sealant around the timing cover. Engine is warm.