Wheel Alignment Query ......

Hi everyone.

Please accept my apologies if you've already read the following query on the  Tyres & Wheels forum, however it's been suggested, due to lack of response,  that I ask on this forum......

.....Having recently had wheel alignment carried out on my car, the print out given afterwards indicates the following measurements:

The camber readings for the Left Front tyre is 0.09 and for the Right Front tyre 0.33.

I don't have any understanding of this matter and wonder if anyone can tell me what effect/type of wear these measurements might have on the front tyres?

Thanks for any help.

Hello, if I'm correctly reading the figures you give, your front left wheel has slight positive camber (top of wheel leaning out) and the front right has slight negative. Are you able to say what the actual unit of measurement used is - is it degrees of arc? Is there an indication on the alignment printout that these readings are within allowed specification?

Excessive negative or positive camber will tend to respectively wear inside or outside edge of tyre - instead of even wear over the full width of tyre. Some negative camber is desirable for handling, especially in cornering - but excess negative will cause wearing of the inside edges of tyre.   

Edited by Warrior193
correction

On 12/01/2024 at 13:19, Warrior193 said:

Excessive negative or positive camber will tend to respectively wear inside or outside edge of tyre - instead of even wear over the full width of tyre. Some negative camber is desirable for handling, especially in cornering - but excess negative will cause wearing of the inside edges of tyre.   

On 12/01/2024 at 13:21, sepulchrave said:

It is completely normal for the drivers side camber to be more negative than the passenger side because that spring has taken a set and is slightly shorter.

Thanks Warrior and sepulchrave for your replies.

I'm fairly sure the readings used are degrees of arc.

Regarding the printout, one of the front tyres measurements is indicated in green (no doubt within the allowed specification), the other in red. Unfortunately I don't have the sheet with me at the moment so can't say which is which but i'll check later.

Your explanations are much appreciated, so thanks once again.

• Like 1