1998 Audi TT

Phil-E

Hey folks.

Got a little project on the go. We'd been shopping around for a second car as a runaround and was getting depressed at the sea of Ford Fiestas, Fiat Pandas and Smart Cars coming up in our budget.

I remembered my boss still had an Audi TT in his lockup that he mentioned he wanted to sell. So here we are.

It's an early 1998 non-quattro model. It's only had 2 owners from new and has spent most of it's life in a garage or under an enclosed car port so has less rust on it than my car!

Suspension was replaced a couple of years back (think it's lowered slightly too) aswell as the brakes which all look like new still.

The only gremlins it has is that the dash is constantly showing an oil temperature sensor warning (it doesn't have one) and the brake wear warning (also doesn't have this). It suffered from the common dash failure and he sourced a used one from a newer model.

The driver's side window regulator makes interesting noises and needs replacing (motor is fine thankfully).

And I've just replaced a rear ABS sensor as the light was on.

Stuck a new battery in as the old one was a cheap one and dead anyway.

So it's off to be MOT'd (TÜV) next week so fingers crossed. Hence why it has no plates as the plates get removed when it's not currently registered (equivelant of SORN in the UK).

IMG_20240107_120700.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update. She failed the TÜV but nothing major.

The battery was loose so bought a new clamp, drilled out the old broken bolt and now the battery is sorted.

Loose trims inside the engine bay. Clips and bolts etc replaced and all solid now.

The middle silencer is rusting and there's bits falling off. They said it would be ok to just removed the outer rusting shell but it's booked for Tuesday for a new middle silencer fitting.

The wheels/tyres and springs aren't original and since we don't have the "log book" where these things would normally be registered by TÜV they have to be checked against the vehicle to ensure they're fit for the vehicle. Costs extra of course but only a paper exercise. They're quite strict with this sort of thing here and any mods/aftermarket parts have to be EU marked and often extra listed on the "log book" that they're safe etc. Thankfully these don't have to be declared to the insurance. So yes the options of mods are more limited here than the UK but doesn't put insurance up!

And lastly the headlights. They were cloudy which I obviously already knew but thought I might just scrape through this time and could sort them this summer.

So I spent the day yesterday sanding from 800 up to 5000 grit sandpaper. Then a coat of clear coat. Looking good. Going this morning to the lock up to see how it's dried.

IMG_20240127_104413.jpg

IMG_20240127_104419.jpg

Looking good already. Certainly an improvement.

IMG_20240127_144810.jpg

IMG_20240127_145257.jpg

• Like 3

And took the chance to give her a quick wipe down with a spray wax and polished up the exhaust tip which was looking a bit sorry for itself (obviously not been done in years).

IMG_20240127_144724.jpg

IMG_20240127_144737.jpg

• Like 1

World of difference with the headlights 👍

I like my GTI's exhaust tips being nice and shiny :blush

Gaz

Also just had some good news. My boss (the current legal owner till it passes its test since we can't re-register it without that) has found the "log-book" with the mods declared so we don't need the extended check as this can now just be carried over 😁

• Like 1

More good news! She's passed!

Unfortunately had to stick the steel wheel/winter tyres on as they still weren't happy with the alloys. They're not on the log book after all.

So either I stick them back on a risk the off chance of being pulled over and them checking or the steel wheels will be getting cleaned up and repainted (black). Haven't decided yet.

Had a new center silencer fitted by the garage too.

19 hours ago, softscoop said:

Is the plate a nice coincidence? Never been sure how private plates work over there. 

Over here private plates don't really exists. Since the plate doesn't stay with the car then you basically get a new plate when you re-register the vehicle.

You can choose your own for a fee of 10€ and can choose from a combination of 2 letters and either 2,3 or 4 numbers. Obviously the "PB" has to be on (for Paderborn where we live).

Obviously you can then reserve the plate for a short time should you "un-register" the car (equivalent of SORN) or you just have to keep the car registered.