Dashboard display counting down to the next service

My car has started displaying a countdown (from 800miles) to the next rquired service.

It's currently got around 36,000 miles on the clock and I'd been planning to service it myself.

Can the 'service countdown' be disabled?

You can disable it,

how?

..but once you do you are no longer on fixed servicing. I disabled mine and I have to make sure I service it at decent intervals.

Why? I'm confused.

So what are the alternative options? Take it to a Skoda dealer for very expensive oil changes every 10K miles or service it myself more frequently?

Does the car 'turn itself off' unless a promnpt is acknowledged in VAGCOM ?

You can reset the service indicator display using the procedure on page 64 of the Owner's Manual. If you do so, and the car is on variable service intervals, it will revert to fixed service intervals. I recommend that you read the warning on page 65 of the Manual before resetting the display.

Cheers. It's presumably on fixed service intervals already as it is approaching the mileage written in the 'next service due at' in the service history.

I can't see a problem with disabling it and servicing it at home. My other cars have coped without being taken to main dealers and retained trade-in value...