Towing with a skoda superb?

My daughter has bought a horse box so I need a 4wd car of some description. My Audi A4 Avant will tow it just fine but as soon as we get onto wet grass I know we'd be going nowhere. The trailer would be used perhaps once or twice a month , and I want a comfortable ride the rest of the time. My shortlist includes a Skoda Superb. I like the idea of the L and K 280tsi, with the adaptive suspension, because it can be firmed up whilst towing and softened when not towing. I also like the Audi Q5 but it always feels like their dealers are doing you a favour just speaking to you (Yeovil Audi, where I bought my A4, were an exception, being very good, but they are a long way away). Most Q5s also seem to be the M Sport, which I suspect does not have a great ride.  I'm also looking at a Kodiak.

My concern with the Superb is that the kerb weight is a bit close to the 1550 kg or so I'll be pulling. Does anyone tow with one of these?

4 hours ago, Rooted said:

@harrylime  If you need a AWD you need one with suitable tyres to tow on grass or mud or in or out of gates do you not?

Is that the actual Weigh bridge reading of the trailer and horse as it gets towed?

The trailer is stated as around 900kg and the horse has been weighed at around 650kg

9 minutes ago, harrylime said:

The trailer is stated as around 900kg and the horse has been weighed at around 650kg

Great if you don't want to take any tack, feed or bedding in the trailer.

1 hour ago, Paws4Thot said:

Great if you don't want to take any tack, feed or bedding in the trailer.

Probably one haynet and a water container, perhaps 20 litres. I'd keep as much weight as possible in the car

We sold our caravan in 2020 but towed 1350kg with my 280 for almost 4 years before that.  The 280 has a braked towing limit of 2.2 tonnes so I doubt your horsebox setup would trouble it.

When towing I set the suspension and steering to sport - the stiffer steering in particular reduced movement caused by undulating roads (the A1 tramlines caused by lorries in particular).

MPG was around 23 when towing. These days (now I use the car less) it's 28 day to day. I can't comment on the Audi but the Superb comes with indicators as standard too 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, unclerichy said:

We sold our caravan in 2020 but towed 1350kg with my 280 for almost 4 years before that.  The 280 has a braked towing limit of 2.2 tonnes so I doubt your horsebox setup would trouble it.

When towing I set the suspension and steering to sport - the stiffer steering in particular reduced movement caused by undulating roads (the A1 tramlines caused by lorries in particular).

MPG was around 23 when towing. These days (now I use the car less) it's 28 day to day. I can't comment on the Audi but the Superb comes with indicators as standard too 😉

This is what I thought. The option of changing suspension settings appeals to me, rather than hoping a standard setup would cope OK.

I tow a 4 birth caravan in my 280. Love it.

It wont pull it through muddy fields though. The wheels just spin and just digs deeper into the soil if its 'that wet'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigeater said:

I tow a 4 birth caravan in my 280. Love it.

It wont pull it through muddy fields though. The wheels just spin and just digs deeper into the soil if its 'that wet'.

That's a bit disappointing. Wide summer tyres don't help I suppose

2 minutes ago, harrylime said:

That's a bit disappointing. Wide summer tyres don't help I suppose

235/40/19's on mine - but a wet field wont put me off ;)

• Like 1

I tow an enormous glider trailer with my 280 L&K, it’s 11.5 metres long. Can’t remember the total weight but the glider is about 550 kg. Tows very easily. I have the factory retracting tow bar and it all works very well, car tells me what the speed limit is with trailer, when trailer is plugged in, which was very handy as I’ve just driven through the Netherlands and Germany with it. Obviously there is oodles of power. The later 280s with the 7 speed box are a bit more economical, we got over 30mpg towing the (empty)  trailer, although in part because the speed limit with a trailer in Germany is 80 kph (50 mph).

The Haldex 4wd isn’t great, but it helps. Probably a bigger difference for soggy fields etc is to use all season tyres, eg Michelin Cross Climates. Massive difference in traction on a poor surface, and perfectly OK on dry tarmac.

Edited by nicknorman