Retrofit exhaust valve from 280ps model

Just wondering, are all mk3 models capable of supporting the exhaust valves from the 280ps model? Say i want to do a custom job with a near straight pipe on the valve side, but don't want the remote fob or any non-oem buttons in the car, would a retrofit be possible?

Lastly, what is the control behaviour of the valves on the 280ps model? What goes on in what gear and what drive mode?

My 2016 280 has the valves. And far as I can discern, on my stock car, the valves open in engine start up and do a cycle open/close then remain closed. 

In sport mode, they are supposed to be always open but I cannot be certain since the difference on stock exhaust between valve open and close is minor. Nearly indiscernible inside the car. 

• Like 1

On our 2016 car, the flaps open about 15 seconds after starting from cold and seem to remain open when idling. What happens after that I honestly don’t know. As Kete said, whether they’re open or closed, the interior noise seems to be the same. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Seems like the custom way is the way to go for now. Straight pipe diesel at 5 in the morning with no way to override doesn't sound very social.

On a separate note, are the top 2 buttons on either side of the gear lever swappable in any way? Seems like even my l&k has them blank and i've never seen them populated on any other car

I’m almost certain that the valves remain open when using the car in sport mode. The difference is slight but discernible. If you stand outside the car and have someone change the modes you can hear it. Gearbox needs to be in sport for it to work in individual. 

Well, i'm at the thinking stage. Just want some vroom vroom for my ears with good mpg. I want open back roads in the middle of nowhere, not McDonald's car parks full of clapped out corsas and 3 series

Edited by Athrx

44 minutes ago, Athrx said:

Well, i'm at the thinking stage. Just want some vroom vroom for my ears with good mpg. I want open back roads in the middle of nowhere, not McDonald's car parks full of clapped out corsas and 3 series

You bought the wrong car and at least 4 cylinders too little.

• Thanks 1