Fuel tank lock stopped working

laserburn

The lock on my fuel tank cap stopped working, you can just unscrew it by hand when it's in the lock position. I don't know what could be wrong, or if this can the cap be fixed/replaced without changing the key.

When the fuel cap is locked the fuel cap will spin freely in both directions on mine?

When it is unlocked you twist it anticlockwise to remove it.

Thanks. AG Falco

On 28/02/2024 at 21:31, AGFalco said:

When the fuel cap is locked the fuel cap will spin freely in both directions on mine?

When it is supposedly locked, you can spin it freely in the closing direction. When you try to spin it in the direction to open it, it will still offer some resistance, you know that tac-tac-tac-tac sound, but will keep spinning and eventually open.

You are not locking it correctly, you have to use the key again to lock it, first turn the cap closed until you hear the ratchet clicking (the tic-tac sound) then put in the key and turn clockwise to lock.

Once locked it should spin freely in both directions without sound, if unlocked it will make the tic-tac sound when turned clockwise.

try spraying a load of silicone into the lock. It sounds like there is an internal locking tab that is sticking or somehow not catching (or something has broken)