Loss of power and flashing glow plug light on Octavia Mk2

Hi!

I’ve had my Octavia mk2 1.9tdi since 2008 and we’ve always had this great arrangement that if I look after her, she’ll look after me. Since December though she’s had a difficult time.

In December she had to have a new cam sensor after refusing to start and then ran brilliantly for a while. Next I had a situation where she became difficult to start and the glow plug light just flashed relentlessly.

A set of glow plugs later, things didn’t improve, but some fuel system cleaner and a long run seemed to solve things.

Now the car runs well. Good mpg, smooth acceleration, smooth idling, but very occasionally loses power or stalls. Today there was a brief loss of power and the glow warning light started flashing again. She subsequently restarted fine, with no warning light.

I’m going to take her to my mechanic, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what the problem might be, just to help with diagnostics.

Cam belt is new, battery is new, glows are new, cam sensor is new, universal belt tensioners new. Only clue maybe is the car runs rather cold.

Grateful for any pointers.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Is the timing set right? I just had a timing belt changed and the garage that did it messed it up. Got flashing glow plug so took it to skoda dealers. Turned out the timing was out. 

A flashing glow plug light is a warning of an engine management problem, not just glow plugs.

The car needs to be connected to VCDS or another diagnostic problem to understand the issue.

I had a glow plug light flashing which was inconsistencies with the throttle pedal signal. Cleaning the connection and clearing the fault cured it.

I am not saying that is your issue, however diagnostics are needed to overcome expensive guesswork.

Hi!

Great advice, which I already followed. Sad story. It’s the crankshaft sensor, which we can’t remove, as the bolt is so heavily corroded. The only answer, it seems, is to drop the gearbox out and possibly have to break the casing. Uneconomic on an 05 car with 224k ( that I’ve lovingly cared for since 2008). Gutted!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mk3 skoda octavia glow plug warning light comes on and seems to go into a limp mode, and knocks out the acc. All this happens if you accelerate hard. 

4 minutes ago, Teas said:

I have a mk3 skoda octavia glow plug warning light comes on and seems to go into a limp mode, and knocks out the acc. All this happens if you accelerate hard. 

Hopefully it’s not the same thing as mine, or if it is, you have better luck replacing the part…

Its driving me mad. Cars fine once engine is running 90 on the temperature gauge. No faults show up on home diagnostic check.

From the description it sounds as if the the variable vane turbocharger sticks when you accelerate and causes an over boost condition which then puts the engine into the limp home mode.

Switching off the ignition clears the limp home mode and does not necessarily leave a fault code.

Driving very gently may not push the boost too high and hence into limp mode.

The cure would be a new or reconditioned turbocharger. Some people have cleaned them out, however I cannot comment about effectiveness or side effects.