Battery charging advice

Trying to charge up my sisters newly acquired Fabia but she doesn't know if it has 'stop/start. I realise that if it has s/s then I have to connect the negative earth to the chassis earth point.

If I do that and it doesn't have a s/s will it still charge the battery? My simple electrical knowledge says it should but can anyone advise please?

5 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Merci beaucoup!!! Mon ami!!!! That makes sense, just don't want to wreck anything!!!

To expand on @J.R. somewhat bald statement, you should always take the earth to the chassis earth point irrespective of whether or not the vehicle has s/s.

• Like 1

And it makes sense if it protects the S/S battery,  but why does the Skoda advice have to cover both options!! Just trying to be open I guess but having had a battery blow up in my face I was unsure!! Thank God for wearing specs!!! 

Anyway, many thanks!!

1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

but why does the Skoda advice have to cover both options!

The Owner's Manual aren't the best written. 

It's best to do a long, slow, low recharge, in stages if needed (than a quicker, fast, high recharge).  Fully recharge the battery, keep going until the appropriate charger maintainer shows full, repeat the charging if you don't have the time on first charging to get to full, if the battery is low this can take many hours overnight, or more if the battery is very low.  A very low battery can still start the car and the lights may seem bright enough but the car's computers won't like it and throw up all sorts of unexpected issues and warning lights and messages.

If the battery is say a 69 Ah (on battery label) then you divide by 10 so a 6.9 amp charger is recommended usually, 6-amp chargers are sold - or I would use a 4-amp or lower charger maintainer personally.

From my wife's  05.2015 Owners Manual -

njnjnh.jpg.dee3eaa4f907c721b44f54a7281aa0b0.jpg

Despite want many men think there's no law against reading manuals and instructions - or doing preventative car battery charging with an appropriate battery charger maintainer a couple of times a year and/or as required.

I can give you links to info on car battery charging  and the VW stop/start system if you want or there's loads of info on the net (as always some good some not so good or bad).

HTH.

7 hours ago, Paws4Thot said:

To expand on @J.R. somewhat bald statement, you should always take the earth to the chassis earth point irrespective of whether or not the vehicle has s/s.

Bald reply again, - rubbish!

Only preconised on start stop systems and the battery will charge and the world will not end if the connection is made to the battery terminal.

5 hours ago, nta16 said:

If the battery is say a 69 Ah (on battery label) then you divide by 10 so a 6.9 amp charger is recommended usually

Your imagination is running riot once again.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Your imagination is running riot once again.

Now you are making yourself look silly - just because you didn't read the post, and my other posts, fully and/or can't or don't want to comprehend what I've put doesn't mean you have to make the same repeated comments and jibes those posts.

Whatever your problems are, and it has been proved, I can not help you so please stop pestering me, and I think other posters could do without such treatment too,

What alleged problems of mine have been proved?