What VCDS cable for SIII

I wanted to do some coding on our 2023 Superb with my trusted VCDS - for the first time. This lead has been working fine on the old SII. The cable was connected as normal to OBDII and the laptop USB and I got the message that VCDS could not detect the lead.

Do I need a different VCDS cable or is it the laptop?

You've not mentioned which VCDS device you have.

You'll need a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET for a 2023 vehicle. However I would still expect VCDS to detect an older HEX-USB+CAN cable even when connected to a new car...

Posted (edited)

It is a HEX + CAN.

It is a newer laptop than before running Win11 which I have not used with this VCDS before though.

Edited by 26DIPP

19 minutes ago, 26DIPP said:

It is a HEX + CAN.

It is a newer laptop than before running Win11 which I have not used with this VCDS before though.

What version of VCDS did you have on the old laptop, and the new laptop?

And when you purchased VCDS did it come with a CD or not?

I sorted this problem.

I did get the old laptop out again - which is also running Win11 now  - and it was the same picture. The VCDS cable was not recognized although it was showing in the device manager and windows was reporting that there were no drivers. VCDS had installed itself as usual as in windows 10 and previous versions but win11 did seem to know about the drivers.

So I had to manual tell win11 to install drivers from the C:\ drive where RossTech had created a directory..... Then it was recognized.

47 minutes ago, 26DIPP said:

So I had to manual tell win11 to install drivers from the C:\ drive where RossTech had created a directory..... Then it was recognized.

When you installed VCDS did you tell it to install legacy drivers? You need those for a HEX-CAN and earlier cables.

23 hours ago, langers2k said:

You'll need a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET for a 2023 vehicle

As Langers2k has said you'll only have limited functionality with a HEX-CAN on a 2023 vehicle (VAG made so many changes in the CAN protocols that the HEX-CAN simply cannot be upgraded to fully work), so you should consider using the Ross-Tech upgrade offer to get a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

I noticed that with every controller the autoscan stated "incompatible controller" and long coding and adaptation are greyed out.

I definitely want to make some changes to the configuration.

I looked a little at what other people seem to be using now. When I bought my SII VCP and VCDS  were the main devices and some people used ODIS.

I still have my VCP and VCDS but they might be up for sale soon.

I have seen some people use OBDEleven and then there are various VCDS leads.

Is there a general recommendation for either of these?

For VCDS unless you want to connect to the car using WiFi then go for a HEX-V2 which is USB only, the HEX-NET is USB and WiFi.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading a little on Ross-Tech.

My SIII is using MIB3. Apparently MIB3 uses a FOD system rather than FEC/SWaP.

Is VCDS-Hex2 able to code with this any more? Is OBDeleven a better and more cost effective opton?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading across different forums and it seems that some experienced coders seem to favour the VCP lead over VCDS particularly for the MIB3 car - which mine sadly is.

Are there any VCP coders on here who have used the VCP on MIB3?