MIB version and map updates

Hey everyone

I recently purchased a new Kodiaq, and the dealer assured me that the maps would update automatically in this model. However, I'm a bit skeptical because my house, which was built three years ago, still doesn't appear on the maps.

Does anyone have experience with updating the maps manually, or can offer advice on how to ensure they're up-to-date?

Thanks!

20240311_141819.jpg

Hi… this is the Mk2 section, and as they’re not even available to order yet, I’m guessing you’re in the wrong place…

But to answer your question, you need an active Skoda Connect licence to update the maps. The car will have come with a year free, and will be relatively up to date from the factory anyway. If memory serves me correctly, the map data is from here.com, so you could check their maps to see if your house is on there yet…

https://maps.here.com

• Like 1

Thank you @Yogi-Bear. The maps from your link do look like the ones on my car's Sat nav and my address is not on there which is shocking.

This is really disappointing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, Rudixx said:

Thank you @Yogi-Bear. The maps from your link do look like the ones on my car's Sat nav and my address is not on there which is shocking.

This is really disappointing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

The sat nav software can only be updated with new roads if the local council/ ordinance survey etc make the information available to the sat nav mapping companies.

10 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Hi… this is the Mk2 section, and as they’re not even available to order yet, I’m guessing you’re in the wrong place…

But to answer your question, you need an active Skoda Connect licence to update the maps. The car will have come with a year free, and will be relatively up to date from the factory anyway. If memory serves me correctly, the map data is from here.com, so you could check their maps to see if your house is on there yet…

https://maps.here.com

Not sure that's correct. The maps will be updated for something like 10years, it's only the additional stuff like current traffic congestion and roadworks that requires a Skoda Connect licence.

Most people would recommend using Waze or Google maps over any car manufacturers system. As Kenny R says, they're only as good as the information they're fed.

In older cars it wasn't the map which was the trouble but the software running the infotainment that prevented OTA updates working properly.  I'd have thought the new cars will already have that updated software tho.

54 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Not sure that's correct. The maps will be updated for something like 10years, it's only the additional stuff like current traffic congestion and roadworks that requires a Skoda Connect licence.

Both of these have 'Online Map Update' listed as being under the 'Infotainment Online' licence. Also, I didn't renew, and my maps are now woefully out of date (don't care as I use CarPlay).

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/skoda-connect

https://www.skoda.co.uk/apps/availability#/

3 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Most people would recommend using Waze or Google maps over any car manufacturers system. As Kenny R says, they're only as good as the information they're fed.

In older cars it wasn't the map which was the trouble but the software running the infotainment that prevented OTA updates working properly.  I'd have thought the new cars will already have that updated software tho.

Goes for MIB2,5, MIB3 might be different, but Skoda Connect contains two services, both could be purchased separately:

Care Connect - remote access, driving data etc

Infotainment Online - maps and online services (gas price etc)

First 3 years are for free, further on you have to pay.

2 hours ago, linni said:

Goes for MIB2,5, MIB3 might be different, but Skoda Connect contains two services, both could be purchased separately:

Care Connect - remote access, driving data etc

Infotainment Online - maps and online services (gas price etc)

First 3 years are for free, further on you have to pay.

It's either me or others using wrong terminology or mis-understanding.

https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/Download/Map-updates-mib3.pdf

initially there was a problem with MIB3 systems where a major software update was required for the update functionality to work ( my car had to be returned the dealership for them to install the new software - I'm taking an educated guess all new cars will have this software already installed ) but once the system is running then...

Maps are available on the Skoda portal. I believe they're updated twice yearly. I don't understand why people's maps are out-of-date. Mine isn't and my car is over 3yr old. 🤔 

The 'online' part only applies to active services - i.e.  up-to-the minute information.   ( which is a contradictionin itself because up-to-date depends on the info available.  When I first had my car the up-to-date info was reporting roadworks that went on for for about 4months 1mile from my home.  I've been here 24years now and there's never been roadworks in that area :D  That's just one reason why I didn't renew my Skoda connect subscription ). 

Edited by kodiaqsportline

1 hour ago, kodiaqsportline said:

The 'online' part only applies to active services - i.e.  up-to-the minute information.   ( which is a contradictionin itself because up-to-date depends on the info available.  When I first had my car the up-to-date info was reporting roadworks that went on for for about 4months 1mile from my home.  I've been here 24years now and there's never been roadworks in that area :D  That's just one reason why I didn't renew my Skoda connect subscription ). 

No, it doesn’t. The online bit also applies to the over-the-air map updates that you can do, instead of downloading the whole 20+GB bundle and farting about with a USB stick.

Given that the OP was asking about ‘automatic map updates’, that implied to me the functionality that requires an Infotainment Online licence - it still isn’t completely automatic (as in it doesn’t just update in the background without you knowing (unless that has changed and it now does)), but it does at least ask if you set a route and updated maps are available that cover some/all of the route.

3 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Maps are available on the Skoda portal. I believe they're updated twice yearly. I don't understand why people's maps are out-of-date. Mine isn't and my car is over 3yr old. 🤔 

All correct except my maps stopped to offer the last update after 3 years unless I paid for them.

Maybe different markets, different strategies?