How to unlock bonnet if passenger door won't open

MrEMann

Hello. Complete newbie here. This morning our 2019 Karoq wouldn't open with the fob button. Replaced fob battery. No effect. Replaced spare fob battery. Still no joy - all that happened was the indicators on the door mirrors flashed twice.

Got into the car with the flip-out physical key: "key not detected" message on dash. Held fob to starter button and pressed to start: dash lit up but car wouldn't start. The interior lights are dim and the ICE screen won't turn on.

Might it be a flat battery? Trouble is, none of the doors apart from the driver's side will unlock, meaning I can't open the passenger door to operate the bonnet release.  Is there another way to get it open?

Bonnet release is in the car,  if you can open the drivers door then you can use it,  I can't see why you think you need to open the passenger door? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bonnet release lever on the UK Karoq is on the passenger side and only operates if the door is open. If the electronics go phut when the deadlock is on, you can't open the passenger door. Hence my question.

6 minutes ago, MrEMann said:

Bonnet release lever on the UK Karoq is on the passenger side and only operates if the door is open. If the electronics go phut when the deadlock is on, you can't open the passenger door. Hence my question.

I too don't understand why the door needs to be open, no mention of that as a condition in the handbook.

It appears to be a simple cable release

https://digital-manual.skoda-auto.com/w/en_GB/show/54909c3a007752bf538427d946427388_2_en_GB?query=bonnet

• Like 1

It is a simple cable release. But when the door is closed it fits into a recess in the door trim that prevents it operating. 

• Like 1

It's OK, found this:

You have to force the lever sideways to clear the door trim but if you're lucky, the bonnet opens before the plastic snaps. Now to try jump starting it...

@mumpsim. Thanks. Found it just as you posted

20 hours ago, MrEMann said:

Hello. Complete newbie here. This morning our 2019 Karoq wouldn't open with the fob button. Replaced fob battery. No effect. Replaced spare fob battery. Still no joy - all that happened was the indicators on the door mirrors flashed twice.

Got into the car with the flip-out physical key: "key not detected" message on dash. Held fob to starter button and pressed to start: dash lit up but car wouldn't start. The interior lights are dim and the ICE screen won't turn on.

Might it be a flat battery? Trouble is, none of the doors apart from the driver's side will unlock, meaning I can't open the passenger door to operate the bonnet release.  Is there another way to get it open?

I had this exact issue when I returned to a previous Skoda Rapid and found the battery totally flat. 

Whilst I was able to access the car with the mechanical key, the bottle holder in the passenger door bin fouls the bonnet release,  thereby preventing access to the battery. 

As the car was under warranty I called breakdown cover who connected a power source, via the cars 12V socket,  which provided sufficient power to operate the central locking.

I recall the (?AA) guy telling me he'd had loads of similar call outs. 

Clearly a car designed for LHD markets 🤔

• Like 1

"Clearly a car designed for LHD markets 🤔". Definitely. Good news is the car is back up and running apart from the EPC and engine warning lights staying on. If they don't go away by themselves in a day or so, I'll get it checked out.

Bad news is the Park Pilot isn't working as it seems to have reset to before I had a tow bar fitted. May need to get in touch with the tow bar fitter ☹️