Octavia 1.8t 4x4 Estate project

I’ve owned Big Green for about 3 years now and I love the thing. 

It’s such an enjoyable car to drive, camp with, go on road trips in, and work on. 

In this time I’ve done the following. Most recent jobs are at the top, oldest jobs at the bottom. 

Done

• Sort out rusty patch on rear right-hand door
  • Fix coolant leak in engine bay 
  • HEL brake lines front
  • 312 carriers discs and guards front
  • Drop links front 
  • Drop links rear
  • HEL braided brake lines rear 
  • 256 rear brakes and callipers
  • Rear trailing arm polybushed 
  • Fit rear control arms x4
  • Fit rear hub bushes x4
  • Rear door membranes fixed
  • Fit TT Comp wheels and PS5 tyres
  • VRS Handbrake
  • VRS steering wheel
  • VRS gear knob 
  • New front wishbones
  • New front ball joints
  • VRS front springs
  • Install golf mk4 recaro seats
  • Fit under seat subwoofer
  • Fit new passenger window regulator 
  • New passenger door handle cable
  • New windscreen wipers front and back
  • New door locks
  • Fit Blaupunkt DAB radio
  • Fit Hertz speakers
  • Fix leaking SAI motor (noisy)
  • Remove and replace oil pickup pipe
  • Fit new sump
  • Fix headlamp inclination motors
  • New carpet mats
  • Fit DAB antenna
  • Fit gas struts to boot and bonnet
  • New number plate light glass
  • New badges front back and wheels 
  • New front left radiator fan

Next jobs;

• 19mm RARB powder coated
  • Polybush 19mm RARB

Aesthetic:

• Reupholster door cards
  • Reupholster head liner
  • Sort out rattling sunroof cover 
  • Sort out rear end rattle (interior)
  • Remove glass from NSF door

IMG_9599.jpeg

IMG_7415.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve had some boost issues lately so have been trying N75 valves. It’s still ongoing.

Despite changing a lot of the bushes on the rear end, I still have this knock that I’m struggling to diagnose.

The recaros are lovely, super comfortable.

the VRS steering wheel and handbrake are a nice addition too.

The Blaupunkt Stockholm 400 unit is awesome. The backlit LED keys are RGB and you can select the colour. I was gutted when “green” didn’t match the Skoda interior lights, but “yellow” is a near perfect match. I’m running that unit with an inline Alpine KTP445A amplifier, with Hertz Uno K speakers all round. There a Pioneer subwoofer under the drivers seat which really elevates the depth of sound. 

Edited by wjspencer

I think the car was remapped by a previous owner. It does feel quick.

I tried getting it mapped by Revo, but they said it was not possible as the ECU was locked - likely due to being mapped previously.

I’m wondering about getting the ECU unlocked, so I can map the car with a trusted tuning firm. 

I guess I could also take the car to a rolling road and see how the curves are looking, and I guess if they’re good I’ll stick with them. 

But I’m getting no boost on startup sometimes, wondering if it’s the current map. Ignition off and on again fixes it instantly though, so no huge bother. 

anyone have any ideas? 

• Administrators
On 13/04/2024 at 11:35, wjspencer said:

But I’m getting no boost on startup sometimes, wondering if it’s the current map. Ignition off and on again fixes it instantly though, so no huge bother. 

You could speak to Bowders who has/sells remapped ECU's. They come demobilised too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome project, I seriously considered converting my 1U VRS to AWD but the chassis work involved put me off. It really needs it though as a stage 2 APR remap alone has it scrabbling for grip. The PQ34 4Motion rear end is prone to damper knocking and we have had great results across all PQ34 cars using the KONI Active. My car has them all round with Eibach springs.

• Thanks 1

Also standard 4M rear springs are very prone to subtlety snapping at the bottom and clanking their coil together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crasher said:

Awesome project, I seriously considered converting my 1U VRS to AWD but the chassis work involved put me off. It really needs it though as a stage 2 APR remap alone has it scrabbling for grip. The PQ34 4Motion rear end is prone to damper knocking and we have had great results across all PQ34 cars using the KONI Active. My car has them all round with Eibach springs.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Maybe that’s what’s going on. 

I have had new springs and dampers all round in the last 20k miles. 

Is damper knocking a thing of the past with the Koni stuff mentioned? 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

You could speak to Bowders who has/sells remapped ECU's. They come demobilised too.

Great, thanks Dean. I’ll reach out to Bowders. I’ve never changed an ECU…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crasher said:

How do you find the Koni dampers and Eibach springs? I’ve heard some say the eibachs are a little harsh? 

although mine rides a little high, I don’t mind it appearance wise and it’s handy on crap roads.

i wonder if I’d regret lowering it with eibachs or not 

Did you fit Bilstein B4’s at the back and was the noise there before? Springs for yours are hard to find, which make did you use? Yes Eicach Sportline’s with Koni’s and full Powerflex on 18’s is harsh.

I put these shocks on the back:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/jzw513025k-rear-shock-absorber-4x4-european-union-14664.html

They’re KYB. They were the same as fitted previously. And the knock was there before and still there now.

The car had the wrong weighted springs on the back when I bought it. So the coils would overlap occasionally and cause a loud knock.

But this current knock happens all the time at low speed on small bumps. 

These are the springs on there now by the way:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/1j9511115d-rear-axle-spring-cs-germany-24985.html

so there’s no high performance gear on there, just standard stuff. 

• Administrators
On 14/04/2024 at 13:23, Crasher said:

Just pick up a 1.8T 4x4 and convert it to a vRS. There's a couple on FB now. Also, I've seen a Red one for sale the other day.

Wooooo

• Like 1

What is the VIN? I have to admit to being a 1U5 fanatic, I did a full recon on an ASV in a very loved L&K last Xmas and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I lost thousands of £’s doing it.