Skoda Fabia Air con fan cutting in then out

Hi all hopefully this gets posted in the correct section as I'm new to the forum so hello from me ... I was donated a 2004 fabia from my dad when my van died and I've never had the AC work and from information I gained from this forum I found the usual broken wires and fixed those ect. I also regassed the system myself about a week ago and although I'm not convinced it hasn't got a leak the AC did work however I think there may still be a fault so I will say what's happening.    Basically at idle with bonnet open and AC selected it takes what seems to be 30-40 seconds for radiator fan to kick in which runs for about 5 seconds and cuts out , it then after 30 odd seconds repeats the process 😳,  the engine is up to temp as been out on a drive . The AC definitely works better whilst out driving but what could be making the fan cut in and out ? Any help appreciated many thanks Carl 

The fan is twin speed, and the low speed function has failed. Common fault.

Can be repairable with a large external resistor wired in, or more straightforwardly by fitting a new fan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pete I managed to get around to checking the single fan by bridging the pins and found that when I bridge low speed pins nothing happens but I do hear a relay clicking,  the high speed kicks in when I bridge those pins , so does this mean my low speed resistor is fried as you previously mentioned? Many thanks Carl 

Brilliant Pete my dad is very useful when it comes to soldering ect and has all the gear so he is going to do the external resistor mod by using your post as reference,  as with his confidence in soldering and how relatively cheap the resistor is its a no brainer,  is it just a case of undoing the 3 screws on the tripod thingy to remove the fan ? 

Yes, but watch out for rustiness in the heads, potentially causing non-full-depth bit insertion and head damage/rounding. Tx30 I think.

• Like 1

On first glance the 3 torx screws seem free of rust , I will go and try to free them up in the morning  so I know in advance of any issues 

• Like 1