Radiator fans on constantly - even with ignition off, cold engine.

Skoda Fabia Mk1 2004, 1.4l 16v BBZ engine with aircon, ABS and ASR traction control - dual radiator fans.

Please can anyone advise on this or point me to where I can find a solution. I've looked on 7Zap and there seem far too many options.

The radiator fans remain on constantly even after a couple of hours with the engine off. Temperature gauge shows normal warm up and remains stable dead centre. To save the battery I pulled fuse 8 (in compartment over battery) and the fans stopped. After leaving the car overnight, the fans restart immediately on replacing fuse 8.

I tried driving the car with the fuse out - the car did not overheat but I don't think that's the long-term fix.

I initially suspected the temperature sensor screwed into the radiator but the problem feels more like a stuck relay. Can anyone advise how to test the sensor.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Anyone know if the fan controller includes a relay and/or where the fan controller is mounted in this car? Also which fan controller does this machine use? 0959455AD or 1J0919506M or something else?

Any help would be gratefully received.

1J0919506M is your fan controller part number, I'm pretty sure. Has two relays inside, one powered by that fuse 8, the other by one of the strip fuses. 

It hangs off a bracket on the nearside chassis leg, quite near to the thermoswitch.

Stuck relay will be the problem, another module swapped in should fix it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

1J0919506M is your fan controller part number, I'm pretty sure. Has two relays inside, one powered by that fuse 8, the other by one of the strip fuses. 

It hangs off a bracket on the nearside chassis leg, quite near to the thermoswitch.

Stuck relay will be the problem, another module swapped in should fix it.

Many thanks for the very quick response - I'll take a look this afternoon and see if percussive maintenance (hitting it 😊) will temporarily solve the problem while I wait for a delivery from Autodoc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T****y said:

Many thanks for the very quick response - I'll take a look this afternoon and see if percussive maintenance (hitting it 😊) will temporarily solve the problem while I wait for a delivery from Autodoc.

Looks like you were spot on. Many thanks again. I put the fuse back in and the fans started up. Found what looked like the controller (It really helped to know where it should be and to be able to find a picture of one in the Autodoc parts online store) and gave it a tap with a stick and a screwdriver handle - the fans stopped. Now if I could just read the part number off the thing before ordering... I'll have to dig out my flexi inspection camera.

55 minutes ago, T****y said:

Now if I could just read the part number off the thing before ordering..

No need, the number you suggested is correct.