What to look out for?

Hi guys, going to view a MK3 Octavia 2018 vrs 245 dsg, covered around 55,000. Dsg is going to be serviced as it hasn't been done, other than routine service records is there any other tips/recommendations to look out for?

Is it a DQ381 7 speed wet clutch DSG with a Service Schedule of 80,000 miles?

Sensible to have the DSG serviced before that miles, but those doing it need to know what they are doing, do they?

?

Has the VAQ front diff been serviced at 3 years / 30,000 miles?  so Twice now.

Have the spark plugs been replaced, and the Air Filter?

Has the brake fluid been changed?

Actually has the Servicing History so far been to the Manufacturers Guidelines, recommendations, specification or Schedule?

• Like 2

I believe it is the dq381 👍 it would be done by bmw technician's so would of thought so! I'll ask about having the diff done and break fluid aswell 👍. Spark plugs/air filter were done last year, there is a gap in the service history from 35,000 to 55,000 which is a bit concerning!

• Like 1

As to the BMW tech.  I think they might need to Phone a Friend, or watch a Youtube Video.    There might be all the gear and not really the idea.

Oil & Filter, not just oil, regardless of what they say. 

?

How many miles has it done?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redmanc99 said:

Hi guys, going to view a MK3 Octavia 2018 vrs 245 dsg, covered around 55,000. Dsg is going to be serviced as it hasn't been done, other than routine service records is there any other tips/recommendations to look out for?

As it's a DI engine, you're starting to get into inlet valve carbon-build up territory. If it drives fine then there's nowt to worry about, but it's a problem that can appear between 50-100K miles on the TSI DI engines.

The solution is to clean the inlet valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTV-uHv5Cwk

• Like 1

Thankfully the Petrol in the UK is lovely stuff with 95 ron min, or super unleaded 97 or 99 min and detergents.

The oil as well, detergents.  

I would want to be able to buy an extended warranty, especially with a DQ381 so getting a warranty that covers it is important.

276235547_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.36fe5772d927b86674b025b891bf3028.jpg

Edited by Rooted

If your vehicle has a sunroof, it's worth checking that the drainage holes are clear as they can get blocked and are a pain to unblock, but there are other issues that can cause sunroof leaks, so check that it doesn't.

That is why the DSG has not been serviced then.

I would be more concerned about the VAQ diff if not already properly serviced.  You will need that doing if no record of it.

There have been failures / leaks.  There are a couple of threads i posted info in.

Now Mk4 Octavia are @ 2 years / 20,000 miles. 

Screenshot 2024-04-25 09.48.42.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1