How to remove Karoq rear light unit

Yoda1247

I've been advised by my dealer that I should replace the rear light unit as there is quite a lot of condensation. Suggested cost was over £400! Thought I might try it myself but wasn't sure how. It's a Skoda Karoq 2.0 TDI Edition 4, 2018. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Is it the inner light on the tailgate or the outer one on the rear wing?

Ok.  I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the Kodiaq or similar...   So there should be a removable flap or plastic vent inside the boot (behind the lens) which reveals a plastic screw.  Undo this and the lens should come away from the car quite easily, albeit it has a rubber seal against the bodywork so might be a bit stuck. You should then be able to unplug the connector and possibly an indicator bulb holder to remove the lens so you can get it inside to dry out.

You'll probably find more instructions in the bulb changing section of the handbook.

Edited by skomaz

Thanks Skomaz. Followed your suggestions - removed the unit which is now almost dried out - it appears to have been the seal in the lampholder, which was the problem. One it's fully dried (hairdryer very useful here!) I'll re-install it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Yoda1247 said:

Thanks Skomaz. Followed your suggestions - removed the unit which is now almost dried out - it appears to have been the seal in the lampholder, which was the problem. One it's fully dried (hairdryer very useful here!) I'll re-install it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Excellent...   Better than giving the dealer £400 for something that wasn't needed!

• Like 1

You'll probably find more instructions in the bulb changing section of the handbook.

Really ? I remember when I had an Audi, the bulb changing section in the handbook had one short paragraph of instructions , 'Take to your Audi dealer' 😀

• Haha 1