CIVILIZATION IV - Has anyone played in yet

I am not normally a computer game type person but, I was absolutely hooked on Civilization III, and bought the next edition a few months ago. I have not been able to load it on my laptop for some stupid video card reason, but I am taking it in to rehab tomorrow, and fingers crosses I am going to be able to get the game to play.

I was wondering if there was anyone else who is as keen on the game as me?

And has anyone played the forth edition and can let me know what to expect?

Yes, erm just a little bit! :o

From the days of Civ I at uni on my Amiga through to Civ IV today! I think I purchased both Civ III and IV on the release dates. Sad, I know!

Civ III: Conquests is a good little add-on to Civ III if you don't already have it.

As for the latest release, it is an evolvement of Civ III, much like Civ III was an evolvement of Civ II, and so on. Graphics better, more features, more units, and the general gameplay is refined.

Try looking on Apolyton.net and search threads for your graphics card, no doubt others have had the problem and you will find the solution on there in the Civ4 forums.

I am on there as Texasjohn (I think) but only posted a couple of times.

I am an ancient-era 'warmonger' kind of player, I choose a Civ with a 2MP unit and attack nearest neighbours early on with waves of units, then after grabbing landspace and resources I then shift to a 'builder' strategy.

Will have to play against you online sometime, although I have given my game away a little now! ;)

I used to be addicted to Baldurs Gate as well, my ex used to call herself a Baldur widow...

Yay! A kindered spirt. I gave my copy of Civ III away as well, which I really regretted when I could not get Civ IV to work.

I am not the attacking kind of person. I tend to go for a small number of other opponants and aim for us all to have our own Island. I always play as the English. I make all the wonders of the world etc and then make a fleet of ships and kick the other civs arses. Best game in the world!

Have you ever completed a game?

Yay! A kindered spirt. I gave my copy of Civ III away as well' date=' which I really regretted when I could not get Civ IV to work.

I am not the attacking kind of person. I tend to go for a small number of other opponants and aim for us all to have our own Island. I always play as the English. I make all the wonders of the world etc and then make a fleet of ships and kick the other civs arses. Best game in the world!

Have you ever completed a game?[/quote']

I like Kinder Eggs, but how did you guess? :D Sorry for being a pedant!

You can probably pick up Civ3+Conquests pack on the net for 9.99 now, I would guess...

I generally play as the English, Dutch or Germans in Civ4. Depends what nation attributes I want for the particular game.

I like to play on a panagea (sp?), one single land mass. No need to spend money on a big navy then ;)

I have completed a number of games, culture victory or 'more than 2/3rds of the globe my colour' victory, usually. One or two 'space race' victories too.

Damn I wish I had my desktop PC here now! This laptop has Civ3 Conquests on it, but the CD is with all my PC stuff in the container coming back from the USA.

I tend to get bored by about the invention of railway. I end up with a thousands of cities and I get fed up of having to watch each of the workers mover before the change of turn.

Also you cannot do a bit of terrorising the Spanish and the French without a load of civil disorder.

I spell fo-net-ic-ally. I am of the spell checker generation. You knew what I meant! :P

You can turn off worker (and other types of) animations in the preferences, FYI ;)

Funny how I also enjoy terrorising the French too, must be a Brit thing!

You can play things very historically if you really want to, especially with the Conquests scenarios...

I aint got Civ IV yet, I'm still Civ III ing

and I banned myself from getting IV until I got some really good scores on III

aint played for a while though been stuck on games like

Sim City 4, Settlers IV, C & C Generals ...

when you do play it let me know how much better III is than IV and I'll prolly upgrade to it once it's less than £10

Settlers V is rubbish they went all 3D rotation and gameplay went down

if you liked any of the previous Settlers games 4 is great

improved graphics larger games bigger fights more smooth and slick

but not many levels unless you can get a copy of Settlers IV gold

loads more levels and to mess with

also the multi player is brilliant (you just need a really good network if your going to add any computer players in a multiplayer game)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000A6BB34/026-0167745-1938038?v=glance&n=300703

and only £7.99 at Amazon (and local shops if you can find it)

hehehe and before anyone says anything I aint selling the product I just really like Settlers games :D

Oh yeah and ...

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG

a female who can play Civ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought they never exsisted

(not trying to sound sexist :o )

I loved Civ III! Still cannot get Civ IV to work on my computer. Tempting to buy a new computer for nothing but Civ.

Never played any onther game that I liked as much.

I have not had my laptop over night because I was being disgustingly ripped off by a bloke in a computer shop (Brian Fowlers computers in Exeter - to be avoided)

I am going to have to take it into PC World and see what they can do. That apolyton.net site is down at the moment.

In answer to your question I will try and discribe my laptop:

It is a Sony Vaio with a sticker that says designed for Windows XP. It used to belong to my dad, and so is very bashed and the screen hinge is a little floppy Passed that I cannot tell you anything else about it.

I am on a Vaio laptop also, PCG-NV209 (it says the model # in the bottom right corner of the screen surround, just above the baseunit/screen hinge).

I will try getting Civ4 running on this over the next week if I have time, and report back.

Go into Start menu, then control panel, then system icon. Click tab called hardware then under that click device manager. A list of devices will appear. Click '+' next to display adaptor, then the name of your gfx card will appear underneath. Post here what it is called.

Ours says: "NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Sony)"

I've had Civ4 running on my Tosh Tecra S1 with 512Mb ram.. graphics wise it's ok, and gameplay is fine until u start to get lots of cities and units on all sides then it starts to massively slow down!! I think it's lack of RAM as the laptop swaps out like crazy...

On my desktop pc it's much better, but that has 2Gb of RAM and CIV4 will use a gig of that easy... but gameplay is very smooth.. :D

The problem with gaming on a laptop is that the display drivers are provided by the laptop manufacturer not the chipset maker and more often than not u can't use the chipset makers drivers on ya laptop, so your left either waiting for the laptop manufacturer to release new ones or finding some hacked versions of the chipset makers one the net.

Civ4 is a nice progression on from Civ3, but they have removed some units that I used to use alot... and yes bashing the french is fun espiecially when you lull them into a false sense of security first :D The greeks always seem to try picking on me as well.. but never win..

I still play Civ3 on my iBook, passes the time on long night or weekend shifts..

Since my mate loaned me Star Wars Empire At War.. I haven't played Civ4 as much as I've been sat crushing rebel scum throughout the galaxy :D

One of them was the tactical nukes you could load up into the nuclear subs... used to fill up a sub and anchor them off enemy shores ready :D

Also you could put stealth bombers on aircraft carriers, yeah not that realistic i know but damn useful.. And battleships etc could take out land improvements... really useful for cutting off an enemy city or resource :)