Fabia 1.0 TSI DSG Monte Carlo 2024 - Sunroof or not?

Hello,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Fabia Monte Carlo 1.0 (110 HP) TSI DSG and there are two models available at the dealership, one with sunroof and one without.

I love the sunroof feature, but I was shocked to find that it doesn't come with a built-in cover...

I've also read reports of sunroof increasing rattle and noise at speed.

Was hoping to get some first-hand experience from the owners of Monte Carlo with the sunroof.

Posted (edited)

If I remember correctly (!!!) the optional 'panoramic' glass roof does not open, so should not rattle and should not be more noisy at speed than the metal roof. As you've said, there is no integrated blind and sun-shading is provided by the product shown here

https://skoda-acc.com/GENUINE-SKODA-FABIA-IV-Sun-shade-panoramic-sunroof-6VA064365

Our 2009 Skoda Roomster has a vast non-opening glass roof, but this was part of the particular specification my wife demanded and not my choice. It has two integrated blinds, that pull one from each end of the glass and OUGHT to clip firmly together in the middle when closed. But they never did (a poor design of clip) and I very quickly pinned them closed with a wire 'circlip'. In the 15 years we have owned the Roomster, since I fitted the 'circlip' the blinds have remained closed, but - if I did want to let more light in and later want sun-shading - this would take a few seconds and there would no need to mess about removing/refitting an afterthought blind.

Edited by DerekU

3 minutes ago, DerekU said:

If I remember correctly (!!!) the optional 'panoramic' glass roof does not open, so should not rattle and should not be more noisy at speed than the metal roof. As you've said, there is no integrated blind and sun-shading is provided by the product shown here

https://skoda-acc.com/GENUINE-SKODA-FABIA-IV-Sun-shade-panoramic-sunroof-6VA064365

Our 2009 Skoda Roomster has a vast non-opening glass roof, but this was part of the particular specification my wife demanded and not my choice. It has two integrated blinds, that pull one from each end of the glass and OUGHT to clip firmly together in the middle when closed. But they never did (a poor design of clip) and I very quickly pinned them closed with a wire 'circlip'. In the 15 years we have owned the Roomster, since I fitted the 'circlip' the blinds have remained closed, but - if I did want to let more light in and later want sun-shading - this would take a few seconds and there would no need to mess about removing/refitting an afterthought blind.

Thank you!

Seems really a crazy stupid decision to not install an integrated sliding blind/cover in what's supposed to be a top trim.

Basically, if I am driving and I am bothered by the sun I need to stop the car, open the trunk, pull out the blind, unfold it, and try to fit it to stay put...

That's nonsense

Certainly is!

Personally I steer well clear of panoramic sunroofs and was one reason I left VWG cars as they forced one on you if you wanted a particular engine/spec. Too many stories of water ingress etc. Don't know if that's a problem with the one fitted to the Fabia though?

I'd be worried that some yob might drop a chunk of brick from an overhead bridge.  Do they supply complementary crash helmets with every fitted panoramic glass roof?

This Parkers long-term test of a Fabia Mk4

https://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/fabia/review/long-term/

includes the following comments about the optional panoramic glass roof.

There’s a rather natty, albeit blind-less, panoramic sunroof (£745)...

The interior really benefits from the panoramic roof. Whether it’s the feeling of being better connected with the environment, or the greater amount of daylight streaming in, the cabin feels almost lounge-like and super spacious.

I do wonder if the climate control has to work harder with that panoramic roof. It’s beautiful to look at, and when the cabin is comfortable, adds an enormous sense of capacity. Still, it acts like a glass house and getting into the car on a sunny day can be uncomfortable until the cabin is at temperature. 

If your budget didn’t stretch quite that far, the £1,215 +VAT committed to the alloy wheels and panoramic roof are two areas where you could slim that total. But that would impact aesthetic appeal, driving experience and potential residual values. In fact, I would be persuaded to spend more and get the roof blind, to try and manage the cabin comfort on hotter days. 

This discussion relates to panoramic roofs and Fabia Mk3 cars

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426073-panoramic-roof/

It's plain some people think glass roofs look great and adore 'em, but this link offers persuasive reasons to avoid them.

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/your-car/6-reasons-to-avoid-a-panoramic-roof/

Posted (edited)

I had a Kamiq 1.5 dsg  monte carlo with the glass roof (It was a stock car, not my choice)

I opened it once to watch a rain storm through and never bothered again!

I have since been approached on two occasions by Skoda owners asking if mine had cracked like theirs.

* sorry one was a vauxhall, I think.

Edited by gumdrop