Re mapping

Hi There,

Got a 2.0 TDI DSG, what is remapping, is it chippping? does it invalidate insurance/Warranty? is it reversable? would it make a huge difference to my engine? does it chew fuel? so many questions, soooooooooooo little time Cheers

Searching is a great thing ;)

remapping = different software loaded onto the existing ECU. It doesn't involve changing the chip but it's the same concept as chipping.

Invalidates warranty: YES - current Skoda UK policy means it will probably invalidate ALL warranty, in reality it's more likely to be slightly more flexible (but not much) within reason.

Insurance: you have to tell your insurer or you're not insured.

Reversable: yes although some maps are not 100% standard after reverting.

Difference to engine: increased power means less safety margin left. Probably a bit more smoke too.

Chew fuel: depends on how you drive it.

DSG may restrict the amount of torque that's safe to use.

Remainder - please use search ;)

There is a very good search tool on here - Choose Advanced search from the drop down box at the top ;) Briefly:

what is remapping? - Re-programming various parameters in the ECU to change performance

is it chippping? - Very similar but these days is done via a laptop rather than replacing/adding a chip

does it invalidate insurance/Warranty? You must tell your insurance company, it WILL invalidate your warranty. Check the info in the forums for details of the warranty as offered by Skoda.

is it reversable? - Yes, some companies give you a box of tricks to do it yourself (AMD), others ask that you go back to them to reverse the process.

would it make a huge difference to my engine? - not sure, myself.

does it chew fuel? - you have the ability to use more fuel but if you drive the same you wont see any difference.

Hi There' date='

Got a 2.0 TDI DSG, what is remapping, is it chippping? does it invalidate insurance/Warranty? is it reversable? would it make a huge difference to my engine? does it chew fuel? so many questions, soooooooooooo little time Cheers[/quote']

1) Re-mapping is when the files on your ECU that control fuel, air, ingnition timing, turbo boost etc are changed, they are replaced with files that increase the original values resulting in more power (bhp) and torque etc... basically. This process is usually completed with a diagnotic style computer / laptop computer.

2) Chipping is a similar process, sometimes using a physical 'computer chip' or a lead on some TDI engines, this can be a permantent fix or something that can be removed when needed (i wouldn't advise keeping plugging and unpluggin stuff in and out your car).

3) Your insurance wouldn't be invalid if you declare it but it can massively increase your premium. On the other hand some companies claim that to plug in a diagnostic box, a company would not be able to detect a re-map.

4) Your warantee would most likely be invalidated, unless you go through your car dealer, they would most likely add a whopping charge though.

5) It would make a big difference to your TDI engine, TDI's generally gain more than turbo petrol engines. on a 2.0, possibly 40 - 50 more BHP.

6) Fuel economy is rumoured to improve after a chip/remap (i'm yet to drive a tank without booting it or carrying extra people, so not sure).

I had mine done with Celtic Tuning... check the site out, it'll answer most of your questions.

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

Good guys, friendly (will drink you out of Tea), know their stuff, best of all, they come to you...

Hope that answers some of your questions.

5) It would make a big difference to your TDI engine' date=' TDI's generally gain more than turbo petrol engines. on a 2.0, possibly 40 - 50 more BHP.

[/quote']

Except the Octavia MKI Elegance that can go from 150bhp to 219bhp in one easy step ;)

Hi There' date='

Got a 2.0 TDI DSG, what is remapping, is it chippping? does it invalidate insurance/Warranty? is it reversable? would it make a huge difference to my engine? does it chew fuel? so many questions, soooooooooooo little time Cheers[/quote']

Here you go...

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/vehicles/skoda/Skoda-octavia-mk2-ecu-remap-chip-engine-tuning.html

sorry for not using the search box, i stand rebuked as a newbie, from what you say i am going to leave it, the car is quick enough and i dont want to invalidate everything , good advice though, cheers