Mk 1 Octavia Estate L & K 1.8 T

mark lanyon

This is a third time lucky attempt to put a message on your excellent website. And I'll probably fail again.

We bought an estate 5 yrs ago and its just cracked the 100,000 mile mark without any major mishap. The battery finally showed signs of dying yesterday but that's fair enough. Its Sunday today and Half**ds were pretty useless. Still, will get another tomorrow from a good battery supplier in Cheltenham. Will take slave battery just in case.

Unqualified recommendation for our garage, Gray Gables in Witney. Family run and very helpful/honest/inexpensive/efficient/trusting. So I'm going to chop in the BMW 320d touring for another L & K estate with DSG next year when the lease ends.

The beamer's a good car but you don't get anything with it - its all extra. I still can't quite believe that, since I hadnt asked for a discount, I suggested that the salesman throw in a set of mats. "Oh we were going to do that anyway" he replied smoothly. I was impressed until I discovered that the "mats" are the rubbish ones supplied by the lease company with large grippers to hold them in place. Cheap or what?

I shouldnt care really but I managed to get 26,500 miles before the FIRST oil change and 53K for the 2nd (which was consistent) but I refuse to believe (and it'd be hard to convince me) that this is good for the engine, particularly the timing chain. I would be reluctant to buy a car with this sort of record.

Incidentally, does anyone know how much poser is safe for a DSG 'box with a 140bhp TDi? Is an extra 25 bhp and 30 lb/ft safe? They only seem to be rather little clutches...

Welcome

Just a thought for you, My Wifes L&K Diesel is now up to 114000 Faultless miles, I now use it as a runner to save my Fun car & we recently replaced my Wifes car. The Initial thought like yours was another L&K but when we added in Xenons etc which are now extra the price went up & up. We then worked out that we could get a stonking deal on a Superb Elegance which dealers will heavily discount when pushed & it comes with all the extras + more as standard. We paid 17995 on the road & it was a factory order, colour of our choice etc

The Superb is just coming up to 8000 miles & all I can say is the car lives up to its name.

I realise you are leasing but you might just want to put it into your thought process, It really is one heck of a lot of car for the money.