Fitting an MFD2 into a fabia!!!

Hi guys,

Ive purchased a VW MFD2 sat nav unit to install into my fabia...............Ive bought all the relevant connectors and everything and wired it up myself (because they arent really compatible with each other), and it works but there is a input on the mfd2 that is called "safety" i havent got a clue whats its for, so i just left it and as the system loaded up and i entered the pin it then said "safety unplugged"...........If any one has any experience with this kind of stuff and can think what it is, id be VERY grateful for any info?? :)

Cheers

Jimbo

Is it not the wire that's connected to the handbrake switch, so you can't watch movies whilst driving along. Most people wire it up permanently in the "handbrake on" state to remove the safety restriction.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

An MFD2 could fit into the Furby Vrs! For those interested, the MAX dims for Fabia vRS SE are; W 220 x H 133. To obtain this size would involve a) remove cup holder slot on L side and B) somehow removing part of dash under the slot on the R side.

Well I gone and done it now! Bought a Audi Navi Plus unit off of EBAY and am gonna attempt to squeeze it into my Furby vRS SE over the coming weeks (I am virgin in these type of things!) It could take months and hundreds of posts on here to get it done. Wish me well, will post details if succesful, or will hide, if not!

• 3 months later...
Well I gone and done it now! Bought a Audi Navi Plus unit off of EBAY and am gonna attempt to squeeze it into my Furby vRS SE over the coming weeks (I am virgin in these type of things!) It could take months and hundreds of posts on here to get it done. Wish me well, will post details if succesful, or will hide, if not!

Did you get this to work in the end?

• 2 weeks later...

MFD2 units from T5, Touareg and Touran had square edges and double DIN size, I know people on the net succeeded fitting them into old Passats and such so so technically they should fit into Fabia and Octavia mk1 as well. MFD2 require CAN-BUS, rather than GALA to operate properly (otherwise sat nav position doesn't update properly, light dimmers don't work and the radio switches itself off once an hour), but I know there are CAN-BUS adaptors which simulate signal for MFD2 on sale in Germany. Unfortunately the information is scarce and in German, so someone with knowledge of foreign language would have to start digging on .de forums and shops to see if those adaptors work properly in GALA cars...

large_vw%20touareg.jpg

Case and point - Frenchmen fitted MFD2 to old mk4 Golf, it's just that je ne parle pas francais to read how...:

kalini_1101898167_mfd2mk4.jpg