Power steering fault 51 reg TDI

Lambo

Hi all, our Fabia 1.9 tdi 2001 model has recently developed an intermitent power steering failure. It has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks, the steering goes really hard and the warning light on the dash comes on. Tonight I tried it and turned the ignition on and off a few times and it's ok again. Around 2 years ago we had the power steering sensor fail, that time the steering went very light, almost as if it was driving on ice and the lights began to flicker, a new sensor cured that one. The car has 83k on the clock. So learned people, is it likely to be the sensor again or the electric power steering pump? I might add that when you drive slowly it is easier to steer than if you drive faster when the problem occurs.

Any help or advice on likely fault or where to source cheap parts from would be appreciated. I have managed to purchase a new Haynes manual for tha car but Haynes do not seem to go in to the electronic diagnostic side or give you the fault codes.

Thanks in anticipation, Lambo.

Could be either or both. We've on replaced the sensor twice and pump once at less than 30,000 miles.

You could try a breaker's yard or ebay for the pump but you can't be too sure what you're getting unless the broken car is low mileage.

Seems you've been unlucky, 2 sensors and a pump in less than 30k!

Noticed yesterday the lights are flickering and it did exactly that last time, the only difference this time is there's no power assistance at all. To make make things difficult it's also intermittent, does sound like the sensor, i'll see what the service guys say, cheers.

I would say the sensor. Sounds a lot like mine. Does the steering sometimes go ultra light, and the headlight beam blips a bit at night? Thats the pump sucking in lots of current. Sensor was cheap enough and easy to replace. Got it from a contact on Ebay for about £30 I think. Took about half hour to swap as needed to thread the wiring whilst it was on a ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

Not wishing to start a new thread, I park mine (vRS 53plate) in the drive on a hill and in certain weather conditions - mainly cooler than 10 deg.

The PAS light repeatedly comes on when I start it up, (never at any other time), the steering goes heavy. I turn the engine off and start it again and 99% of the time it clears, accasionaly it requires a 3rd start.

I took it to the dealer last year and he said they couldn't find anything wrong on the computer readout.

On his sudgestion I tried tried parking it round the other way and recorded the details of every time it failed, I've got a 3yr warranty service in a few days and as the temp has dropped its started playing up again.

The car is totally bog standard apart from an aftermarket stereo (which was fitted by the previous owner)

any ideas?

Well, it seems I was a little hasty with my assumption the power steering fault was fixed! After having the sensor changed, had the steering assistance fail twice now, with the dash light on and flickering lights, damn, any ideas anyone, cheers, Paul.