House insulation

Octygone

just trying to find out what to use to insulate my loft..........so is anyone on here a building or insulation type person......tried looking for a site on the "r" values of various types of insulation, but can't find one, the type of thing I am looking for is for celotex or kingspan ...is it better for the job than fibreglass, how much fibreglass is equivalent to 4" of celotex .....so I can get the best material for the job.

Have 10" of fibreglss now but I want to board some of the loft and that would mean squashing it down and loosing a lot of insulation but if celotex only needs 6" for the same efficiency then I could replace it.

Thanks in advance

Rob

This is the type of stuff i'm using. One of the more expensive one's, but if your going to do it, do it well.

PC050087.jpg

PC050082-1.jpg

PC050084.jpg

PC050085.jpg

I hope this can be of some use to you!

The website of the Insulation we're using is ... Welcome - Knauf Insulation .. Have a look around there for more information.

If i've not answered any of your questions, let me know.

Good Luck...

I have access to lots of bits of celotex and kingspan (left overs from buildings I work in) and wondered if there was a site to campare the U values of various insulation so I could decide how thick I needed to put this stuff in and if it was better than fibreglass

I know nothing but have heard of tell of moisture retention in loft insulation fibres. Not being technically minded, I don't recall how they said the problem had come about, e.g. lack of airflow, or expected natural levels which might be naturally dissipated (but apparently hadn't been in this instance). I just don't know :shakehead

Regards

Mo

I've seen some in B&Q (other diy stores exist)

that goes on the underneath of the rafters,

so, that you can use the loft as a warm room.

It was foil backed, seemed to be 2 different thicknesses.

Anyone any experience of the kind of thing i mean?

We're getting some underfloor insulation for out NZ house that is basically bubble wrap with foil on both sides. The house is made of wood with a space underneath.

The insulation is stapled across the joists forming a heat and moisture barrier. You can get similar stuff for lofts and they reckon it's much more efficient than using the fibreglass stuff stuff between the joists.

We're getting some underfloor insulation for out NZ house that is basically bubble wrap with foil on both sides. The house is made of wood with a space underneath.

The insulation is stapled across the joists forming a heat and moisture barrier. You can get similar stuff for lofts and they reckon it's much more efficient than using the fibreglass stuff stuff between the joists.

Seen that ...there's two sorts ...the one with bubble wrap in the middle and silver foil on either side ..or the super dooper stuff with foil both sides and about 4 layers inside plus various other layers (16 layers) is rather expensive though at £230 per 10m X 1.5 roll...NHBC will only let it be used if it is backed with plywood now as it didn't do quite so well in the tests.......

Here's a pic of the stuff I get which is supposed to be more efficient that most others ...sort of a hard foam inbetween two layers of foil ...comes in various thicknesses which you cut with a saw to fit between the joists

Heres a link to our website and to a u value calculator (although its more designed for calcuating for indutrial installations than domestic lofts it might be of use to you) click on the ARMwin AS icon to access the page

.....and KINGSPAN.......[legal restraints prevent me from saying why I personally wouldn't go anywhere near this stuff...especially thier phenolic resins.]

http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/armacell.nsf/ansHTMLSeitenLookUp/UK_Frame?OpenDocument

Seen that ...there's two sorts ...the one with bubble wrap in the middle and silver foil on either side ..or the super dooper stuff with foil both sides and about 4 layers inside plus various other layers (16 layers) is rather expensive though at £230 per 10m X 1.5 roll...NHBC will only let it be used if it is backed with plywood now as it didn't do quite so well in the tests.......

Here's a pic of the stuff I get which is supposed to be more efficient that most others ...sort of a hard foam inbetween two layers of foil ...comes in various thicknesses which you cut with a saw to fit between the joists

I didn't know you could walk on these. As far as i remember, they go underneath a plasterboard in a loft.