Hankook Ventus Sport K104

At last I have finally got me OEM Michelins off me Fab VRS and replaced with above tyres, could not make me mind up about Toyo, Khumo,etc etc, but I read the Press release from Reuters and if Audi are going to fit them then that was good for me.. So far I have found them to be a lot quiter in the road noise department and no problems with griping the tarmac.

Hankook Tire to supply Audi from 2007

Reuters / December 14, 2006 - 9:00 am

SEOUL (Reuters) -- Hankook Tire Co. Ltd., South Korea's top tire maker, said today it would supply tires to Audi, Volkswagen's premium unit, starting June next year, marking its foray into the high-end market.

Hankook did not reveal the financial terms of the deal but said in a statement it expects to ship about 90,000 units to Audi next year. The tires would be used Audi's long-wheelbase sedan A6L and mid-sized A4 models, it said.

Hankook sells passenger car and truck tires mostly to global automakers such as Ford Motor Co., General Motors and South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co.

It ranked No. 8 among the global tire makers last year in terms of revenue, Hankook said.

I have been running K104`s on my Fabia 1.4 8v for around 20.000km.

I find them good on dry tarmac, but they lack grip in wet conditions.

Had 205/45/16 in the front and 215/40/16 in the back.

I could spin the wheels in 1. gear when setting off in the wet without problems, that might tell you a thing or two....in the dry on the other hand, no chance of wheelspin.

I had them fitted 3 weeks ago to my Fabia VRS at a cost of £55 each as opposed to £110 each for Michelins. I travel about 500 miles a week and am really impressed so far. The OEM Bridgestones lasted 15k, so anything over 8k will be enough for me.

I have found Michelins to be vastly overated. The Pilots I currently have fitted grip nowhere near as good as T-1r's wet or dryand by the looks of if it they won't last any longer either (This may be as my car can spin in second on all but the driest of roads ;) )

Thinking of giving the Ventus a shot next time if I can't get the Toyos at a good price.

I have found Michelins to be vastly overated.

Would have to disagree with that sweeping statement, the Michelin PS2's I have at the moment are bloomin fantastic in the dry but particularly good in the wet plus they are wearing well too :thumbup:

I have found Michelins to be vastly overated. The Pilots I currently have fitted grip nowhere near as good as T-1r's wet or dryand by the looks of if it they won't last any longer either (This may be as my car can spin in second on all but the driest of roads ;) )

Thinking of giving the Ventus a shot next time if I can't get the Toyos at a good price.

I agree with Decron. My vRS came with Pilot Primacies and they were so noisy I ditched them after 13K miles in favour of Toyos, which were an all-round improvement.

I have found Michelins to be vastly overated. The Pilots I currently have fitted

There are 3 flavours of Pilots .... Pilot Primacies, Pilot Sports and Pilot Exalto (sp?). My car came with the Sports and I replaced them with the Primacies as the tyre place told me they were as good, but after 10k miles I know that's rubbish! :rofl: Primacies :thumbdwn: Sports :thumbup:

Although saying that, the Primacies are better than the Conti's on the rear of the car :rofl:

Chris

I forgot to mention one of my main reasons for changing was that the tyre fitter found a split in one of me OEM Michilens on the side wall just waiting for a blow out. I drive a lot of miles on the motorway in the Fab VRS and I am carefull in avoiding potholes on most of the Queens Highways, also I havn't a clue how this split happened but I seem to recall on this excellent forum that a fellow Fab Vrs owner had the same OEM tyre I think and his blew out on the motorway. Anyhow the K104's are extra loaded so this may prevent another split in the sidewall..

Fair enough :D Out of interest, which car did they test them on?

Chris

Think it was a 3 series - obviously completely different dynamics but I rate mine as a good combination of wet & dry grip and decent longevity :thumbup:

That said, when they get below 3mm things chance dramatically :eek:

I have over 4mm on both of mine and they have less grip than my Michelin's which have 2-3mm on them! Maybe better suited to smaller cars than my big old crate? :rofl:

Chris

There's a special old-fart-mobile test in the new year :P