Fabia vrs to Octavia vrs diesel?

Like many, I am thinking of trading up from my Fabia VRS to the Octavia VRS diesel> I would be interested to hear from owbers who have already done this.

Is the 170TDI as sweet, smooth and quiet as the 130TDI?. What I particularly enjoy about the Fabia is the lag free throttle response (at most speeds) I have heard some negative things about the 170. Is there anyone out ther who can re-assure me?

I drive an Octavia Vrs Diesel and also drive the missus's Fabia Vrs regularly and i would concur that the Octy's power delivery is not as smooth as the Fabia, it's not bad, it's just a case of getting used to the way the power comes in, i find it good fun and don't have any problems with it.

I'd say the engine in the Octy is smoother than the Fabias, both are noisey when cold but the 2ltr engine is smoother in every way than the Fabia when warmed through, which in itself i don't think is too bad, it does get fairly gruff in the upper rev range but i think that is common to most diesels isn't it?

The only way you will know for sure whether you will like it or be able to live with it is to get yourself down to your dealer and book a good test drive in one, you're the only one that knows if it will be satisfactory for you.

One thing to note though is that it won't be as economical as the Fabia, you probably already know that though, i do a 53 mile motorway/dual carriageway journey to and from work and i am getting an average anywhere between 45-50mpg and if you boot it it will drop below 40, my engine is still fairly tight at 3000 miles though so it 'should' get a bit better.

I'm well pleased with mine anyway and don't regret for one second not getting the Fabia, although i do enjoy driving the other halfs when i'm allowed.

Is the 170TDI as sweet, smooth and quiet as the 130TDI?

Sweet, smooth and quiet?! You sure your Fabia has a diesel engine in it? :rofl: As others have said, best to try the 140bhp TDI and 170bhp TDI and see which you prefer .... both have pros and cons :D

Chris

Which dealer would that be then?

Why? Don't want anyone getting in trouble for possibly speaking out of turn.Or maybe I'm paranoid about Skoda and Briskoda!

Bottom line is.....plenty of petrols have flown off their forecourt but no diesels.Not one.

TBH I can understand it.

Whoay boy, steady on, as i'm from the midlands i wondered if you use the same dealer as me, personally so long as i like a car i doesn't mean jack **** what the next man (or woman) thinks, that also includes you.

Can we have a :) please

:) sorry Kenny.Probably reads not how I meant it too! I'm just peeved at all car manufacturers taking advantage of people's love of diesel.If anything ,they should be cheaper!

I didn't want Skoda having a pop at a dealer for confessing they weren't selling any.PM if you want the dealers details.Sounds like they may be keen to do a deal just to get one off the shelf.

:) sorry Kenny.Probably reads not how I meant it too! I'm just peeved at all car manufacturers taking advantage of people's love of diesel.If anything ,they should be cheaper!

I didn't want Skoda having a pop at a dealer for confessing they weren't selling any.PM if you want the dealers details.Sounds like they may be keen to do a deal just to get one off the shelf.

No worries, i can appreciate how it could be misread. :thumbup:

Anyway, back on topic...............

• 4 weeks later...

The gap in price between diesels and petrols is shrinking as diesels become more popular. Its not a case of them ripping you off, its a case of diesels needing a bit more robust construction, which also has the positive effect of making them last so long. Theres also the fact that that they sell less, thus need to make up the margins from higher development and production costs per unit sold...

You can expect twice the mileage from a diesel engine than a petrol, and you get more back at trade-in, so its not a complete rip-off. Assuming you pay an extra £1000 and choose diesel, and kept it for 3 years. You'd lose what, £500-700 of that £1000.

If you choose a diesel motor, its probably because you are a mile muncher.. fair to say no?

SO, lets assume you do around 25k miles a year;

In a petrol car, you'd expect a fuel bill of maybe £3k ?

But if you had a diesel, that might be as little £2200.

So in just 3 years of ownership, you'd have saved over 2k from fuel alone, plus the £300-500 return on the higher list price, taking you to a saving on costs of approx £3,000. Now in my book thats 2k profit, or if you think of it as putting money in a bank, then in simplistic terms (not allowing for compund interest etc) Thats an APR of 50% being paid to YOU. Thats a great investment imho.

Oh, and if you are still reading this rather long post, congratuations to you!. And if you understand it, well let me know because i'm lost now, being after 4am and all....

As I have said on another thread, just swapped my Fabia vRS for an Octy vRS diesel with no regrets - both from new. Diesel engines take a while to settle in and start to sing after a few thousand miles. Best not to push to under 2-3K miles. Was up against a friend's Elise last Sunday which was all whine and tyre smoke. He did manage to get a pace on me (I had a bigger passenger load) but still beat him to the finish by taking a quicker route. The PD170 seems much quieter, both on tickover and on the move than the PD130. I noticed that the Fab's idle was around 1000prm, whilst the Octy is a bit under. The Octy cruises at 2krpm for 70mph - at 2.2Krpm the Fab was a bit above this. The Octy is a more refined car than the Fab and looks much better. I guess it is down to budget for buying and running and whether you want a bigger car. As far as the FSI is concerned, yes the engine is quicker on paper, but sometimes it pays to have a slightly slower car and think more about driving style and anticipation.