!!!No Lights On Dashboard - Help!!!!!!

Joey122mac

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not know anyone with a tow rope that could get your car to a place of safety? It definately doesnt sound like the battery , mine went last year and when it died I was still getting dash lights , but the engine would not turn over. It sounds like some kind of electrical fault in the dash lights and or immobiliser , I reckon its a job for a decent auto-electrician.

In fairness I have used it for short trips and with lights on so battery could be possible but why oh why does the starter motor turn over, lights work etc etc.

Off the top of my head, think the voltage should be at least 14.4V to successfully start the engine. Lights and the starter motor will still do something with a lower voltage, which could explain what you're seeing...

Rob.

Guess what - Now the dashboard lights dont work and the petrol gauge doesnt respond either - Its definityely got a half a tank but the needle doesnt budge...

Yesterday the petrol needle was working .....

All these will require a certain working voltage - if you keep trying to start the car and using lights, etc. then the voltage of the battery will further drop, such that you might now not have enough voltage available to power the lights and fuel gauge.

Rob.

robmawer & Scooby CChris,

Thansk for all your help -

Now am I being a bit thick or are you saying that to calulate the amount of the fuel in the car , takes more power off the battery then starting the motor over ?

If not then I still dont get why the starter motor woks but the dash doesnt - If it was the other way round I would ny have asked...

Battery being charged 14.4V sounds a tad high but it is ok, 13.8V is generally the target.

A lead acid battery should have a nominal voltage of 12V, if it's below 11.5V it is definitely not in a great shape.

A maintenance 'free' battery with loads of short runs etc may not last more than a few years anyway, and based on posts, I'd still get a new battery anyway :)

Battery being charged 14.4V sounds a tad high but it is ok, 13.8V is generally the target.

Has been a couple of years since I've had to charge my battery, I recall I charged it "incrementally" and it didn't start until it had reached 14.4V. That said, my multimeter is pretty skank so not sure how well calibrated it is...

Rob.

Latest update is as follows :

All fuses checked and have not blown.

Dashboard lights all of - Petrol needle doesnt budge - Starter motor turns strongly

Tried to jump start twice by attatching cables - No spark when cables attatched - No dashboard lights when jump cables attatched.

Does this eliminiate the battery being the root cause? If it doesnt start of a jump start I would have thought yes.

hi again,

from the sounds of it id still be looking at the instrument cluster.(dash lights), behind this cluster is a controller which controls the imobisliser. if you take a working car and remove the fuse for the cluster, the lights dont come on and the engine will turn over but not start.

with this in mind it seems that you have:

a) have a faulty instrument cluster

B) faulty earth to the cluster

c)no power getting to the cluster ie burnt out wire or blown fuse.

d)the imobiliser needs reprograming to your key.

Have you checked the wire fuses under the bonnet on top of the battery? from my memory one is for the aux electrics in the car.

best of luck john

doesn't sound like the battery to me , could be an immobiliser problem or instrument cluster fault

VAGCOM may find some fault codes

is the red LED on the door flashing when you crank it ? this may show there is a fault with the key/immobiliser , but i would of thought that it wouldn't crank over

not sure whether it has a fuel cut off switch , but i'm sure it wouldn't crank over if it had been tripped