Changing tyre size to improve handling? Current: 195/65 R15 - 225/50 R15 better?

pietch

Wider tyres = greater drag (wind resistance) = lower performance. Use the Tyre Calculator in our Links section to work out what sizes will fit whilst retaining speedo accuracy.

I had 195/65/15 but I'm now running a set of toyo proxes in 205/55/15 on my Octavia SLXi and it handles much better, less tyre roll but according to the snooper the speedo is reading about 5mph over between 30 and 60 and when the speedo gets to 100 i'm actuly doing 90 but I can live with that.

Hi, I don't know about better performance from the lower wider tyres but if you aren't changing the diameter of the wheel from 15" then you are changing the rolling radius of the actual wheel. This will make your speedo record an incorrect speed. I can't remember the details off the top of my head but it can be quite a few MPH wrong, which is not good when going past cops/cameras etc. I take it by performance you mean better handling. If you want lower profile tyres then get bigger rims if you want to run 50 profile tyres then you are looking at 17" rims and at a 225 cross section I think it will have to be on a 7.5" or 8" width wheel. Again for better handling and performance then the old adage of "You get what you pay for" applies. You can get funky looking low profile tyres for £50 each and less but when it comes to that slippy, greasy corner and you end up backwards in a field you will realise that tyres are not something you want to scrimp on. I know this from experience. It is always worth looking around here for recommendations to how tyres perform.