No red LED + fault with convenience unit

thelioncub

Hello peeps.

Tried to search for an answer to this one but can't find anyone who has had this specific problem..

I now have a Fabia VRS, but I noticed the red LED is not flashing when I lock the car.

I took it to the Skoda garage today as I wanted them to hook it up to the VAG-COM to set the alarm to beep on lock/unock, but they were only able to get the car to beep on unlock. They couldnt get the LED to work, and gave me the impression that it could mean that the deadlocks are not working. They hooked it up again but then found that the convenience unit was not repsonding at all, and now needs to be replaced.

I'm now left with a beep on unlock, no flashing light, and possibly a £300 bill if i want that unit changed.

I was also playing around to try and get the alarm to work, and found that the motion sensors are not activating the alarm. If i opened the window, locked the car, then tried to start it, then the alarm goes off, but not if I try and open the door or wave my arm around inside. (And no, I didnt push the remote twice to deactivate the internal sensor)

Help!

Is it worth me getting the unit replaced at this stage when the only symptom I have is no red LED?.. could it mean that if I have a problem with r/c/l or e/windows then I'm gonna be screwed and will need it replaced anyway?

Does any of this sound symptomatic of another problem?

What does the lack of flashing LED actually mean??

oh!

Does it mean the deadlocks are still working and it's just the alarm? The Skoda garage seemed to think they wont be, even if I only push lock on the remote once.

Could it simply be something needing fixing with the interior sensor? I know I had my old one turned down a notch cos it was too sensitive.

I guess I basically need to know if the convenience unit *does* need changing, or if I can carry on with the car just knowing the alarm isn't working right now. I don't mind if it's just the alarm, but if the imobiliser and deadlocks are also fubar then i'm getting worried.

As for the deadlocks why not just try them.

Ah sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. I put my arm through the open window and tried to open the car, and no, the alarm didn't go off but the deadlocks worked.

My concern is more that if there is a fault with the convenience unit that I could end up with intermittent faults with the security features. I read elsewhere that others had windows that randomly opened themselves etc?

If it helps I have had a the convienience controller stop responding a couple of times on an Octavia whilst interigating with Vagcom, the issue was resolved by disconnecting the cars battery and reconnecting. The unit then responded again and could be interigated and have locking options recoded. Cant tell the dealer to suck eggs but worked for me. Also while the unit was not responding all the units components seemed to be functioning as normal.