Top bearing?

druk

Re-posted here after my mistake.:rolleyes:

Good morning all. My son has a 2003 Octavia 1.8VRS estate. It would appear that the N/S strut top bearing is seized/dry. The spring emits a 'bong' sound and you can see it physically jump when the steering is turned and it looks to me like it could be the top bearing is responsible. I have spring compressors and all the experience to fix this myself but am looking for some insight into the job. Is this a common/known fault and are there any tricks to the job please??

Thanks for any help.

Derek.

are you sure that the spring has not snapped ?

the job should be pretty straight forward , support car on stands on affected side , remove wheel , remove pinch bolt on the knuckle , clamp the spring up , then knock the knuckle off the shocker , with the help of an assistant , take the weight of the shocker whilst the top bolts are undone in the engine bay , then strip down to replace the faulty parts

There is a handy little tool for opening up the hub to release the base of the hub.

As Ric says I'd be thinking broken spring myself and they certainly aren't unheard of. May even be something silly like a stone wedged in the cup.

Update FYI

Without taking the strut out I compressed the spring today as far as it would go. It wasn't broken. On top of the spring there is a flat plate which was initally stuck to the top bearing. Fiddling about with this it came free. Cant see much above it even with mirror. Went to local agent and they say there is small bearing above plate housed in top rubber, they've changed maybe 5 in three years but they do seize.. Didn't have one in stock so ordered one. Will report further when changed.

Cheers.

What are this forums thoughts on copperslip on wheelbolts? The ones on this car were as dry as a stick and veeeery difficult to remove. Mercedes (my car, sorry:O ) say no lube but several owners have had bolts sheer so everybody now uses the stuff. Also, what is the torque for wheelbolts please?

Thanks.....Derek.

Hello, remember this? Did the job today. It turned out the top bearing was seized. This a pic of the offending article. Goad knows what the teeth are for, they dont touch anything. What surprised me was there are two nuts on the top strut mount. One to hold it in the car and a further one to retain the spring. Discovered after a struggle that I didn't need to use the spring compressors until the strut was outa the car

Thanks again for your help.

Hey-ho............Derek.

topB.jpg

Part No...1J0412249.......

• 1 year later...

i've had one seize on my 02 90k vrs, was making a horrible clunking noise when you turned the steering wheel. fairly easy to fix and the rubber top mount and bearing were 15 quid from skoda.

i took the whole strut and hub off the car as i found it easier, ( job done in an hour) but i have been told you can just about get it apart with the strut in situ in the car.