urgent advice filters

glen vrs

seen some filters which i want to get tonight so need to know which to get really . more interested in performance so that will help me decide

right pipercross panel filter / dynatwist induction kit off a mate .also seen something on ebay at a v good price but dont want too put a link up as that might add to the bidding will pm someone the link for advice got 2 hours .thanks

I work as a Lab Technician for an automotive filter company based in South Wales with almost 20 years experience. In terms of improved performance i.e. less restriction - more BHP, the difference that an alternaitive filter element will make is almost negligible. In lab tests, a filter element has reached its end of life when there is typically a 2.5kPa restriction rise above its clean starting restriction. An alternative manufactures paper element, may have a starting restriction within only 0.1kPa of your existing element. A 2.5kPa restriction rise (service change) is indicitve of 2.5% power loss. Therefore, reducing starting restriction by only 0.1kPa may give only 0.1% gain in power. Of course, as dust builds up, the restriction relationship between two different filters can swap around depending on the element's ability to hold contaminent and maintain low restriction.

By the way, anyone thinking of getting a K&N element (if one exists for this car), please note that their restriction is normally very good but dust efficiency (the ability to hold onto dust debris and prevent it from entering the engine) is often very poor. This is a much more serious issue. I am not stating this as I work for a rival manufacturer, it is simply based on numerous tests that I have performed.

I wouldnt recommend using a pipercross filter on the vRS as the oil used on the filter after cleaning it can damage the MAF.

A few owners on here have seen problems and the best panel filter seems to be the green ones. The oil used isnt as heavy as the pipercross either.

I used a Jabba Sport induction on my old octy and this was by far the best filter i'd seen / used. Again alot of the guys rate the Carbonio or ABD CAI's