hi all, great site..

after owning the octavia Rs for a couple of years i thiught it a good idea to by the wife a skoda, however..its giving me grief :-(

it's a 1999 1.6 petrol with 71k miles, 1 owner from new and a reasonable service history.

the problem i have is that it keeps fouling up plugs to the point where number 1 will not fire at all..clean the plugs, refit them and away it goes again.

i have done a compression test and its reading approx 180 psi on all 4 cylinders (i dont know what it is supposed to be but they are very even) and when the plugs have been cleaned it pulls like a train.

are these controlled via an ecu with sensors all over the place?

obviously there is something wrong somewhere.

any help or advice on what to check and how greatly appreciated.

cheers

Bob

p.s, it has just had new aitr filter, plugs, cap and rotor arm.

Clean the throttle body and replace the engine coolant temperature sensor, sounds like it is overfuelling.

Where is the engine coolant temperature sensor?

Anyone got any photo's of this for the felicia 1.3 engine.

Thanks

On the 1.3 MPi it is on top of the thermostat housing (black plastic housing on the pasenger side rear of the cylinder head). On the 1.6 there is a plastic housing in a similar position to the 1.3 MPi - it is located there. In both cases there will be a 4 pin electrical plug attached.

For the 1.3,with the sensor removed feel inside with your finger for any loose bits, if there are you will need a new thermostat housing assembly which will come complete with temperature sensor.