Adjusting the headlights

Ok, it (1998 Felicia) has just been in for an MoT and failed on a number of things:

1. Headlights could not be adjusted to point high enough. The auto (form the dash) mechanism works on the left light, but the manual adjustment (ie. screws) don't seem to how to work.

The garage did suggest sticking a bit of wood under the front of the reflectors as there is some movement there, but I defined the offer - figured I should have a quick play first!

2. 4 diesel return hoses are perished and need to be replaced - not sure what these car???

3. Wiper blades knackered - I know I should have checked them, but when I drove the car (it is normally the GFs car) in the rain, they looked ok!

the head light ajusters never work, your lucky to have one working. just use the twister thingys on the back of the lights.

cant help with the pipes, i dont drive an oil burner.

and as for the wipers, halfords.

The fluid in the remote adjusters always leaks out. To get them adjusted untwist them from the back of the headlamp (bayonet fitting) and wind the screw out, this should then bring them into the range where the manual adjusters can be used to set them accurately (I suspect that yours are at their limit of maximum adjustment), where I work we will quite often do this during the test free of charge.

I suspect that they are referring to the bleed off pipes on the injectors. They go from one injectior to the next one. Get a length of suitable diameter pipe, cut it to the correct lengths and and just push them onto the injector stubs.

2 X 20" wiper blades should sort your last problem.

All in all quite minor and easily DIYable (apart from final headlamp adjustment) stuff.

The chap doing the MOT had a little play - both during the test and again afterwards to see if he could get them into line, but seemed to fail. However that said, I am not sure quite how much time he spent. If I am going to have a stab at this - what is the best way of checking to see if I have the adjustments about right? i.e. park car 3 metres from garage door and expect top of beam to be 1.5m from the ground - or something like?!

Maybe a stupid question - but for the pipe should I just try something like my local motor factors? and is there anything special about the pipe? should I just pull of a section from the car and take that in as a guage on size?

GF wants to drive it on Thursday, otherwise she is saying she will take my car :(

Cheers!

Speaking as an MOT tester you are now allowed to adjust the headlamps during the test as this is one of the biggest failures on all cars:rolleyes: We normally do the adjustment after the test FOC if they move, and if its the only thing the car fails on.

Wiper blades only have to clear the screen it doent matter if its a poodle strapped to the arm as long as it clears the screen affectively:rofl: Its the drivers view that counts,

The pipes are diesel spill pipes and only "fuel" hoses should be used, and as said before they just push on....... can only FAIL if they are visibly leaking fuel or are insecure.

HTH :)

Phil

Wiper blades only have to clear the screen it doent matter if its a poodle strapped to the arm as long as it clears the screen affectively:rofl: Its the drivers view that counts,

The pipes are diesel spill pipes and only "fuel" hoses should be used, and as said before they just push on....... can only FAIL if they are visibly leaking fuel or are insecure.

Got the car back now. Done the wiper blades - they worked fine, but were being to seperate at the ends a bit.... you know, the normal wiper blade issue!

Got some fuel hose, and replace the spill pipes - they were being to leak, so nicely spotted Mr MOT man!

Just got to sort out the lights now. Apparent the offside one is only a mm or two too low, while the nearside is well off the mark....

And then fingers crossed, pop it back down this afternoon, and then my peaceful life can resume!

The fluid in the remote adjusters always leaks out. To get them adjusted untwist them from the back of the headlamp (bayonet fitting) and wind the screw out, this should then bring them into the range where the manual adjusters can be used to set them accurately (I suspect that yours are at their limit of maximum adjustment), where I work we will quite often do this during the test free of charge.

I seem to remember a very kind MOT tester doing this for me on my pick up :)