1.4 16v Idle

Has anyone else had an issue with a 1.4 16v 100 bhp Fabia where the idle bounces between around 600 and 1200 rpm?

Mine does it occasionally when it is warm and I need to get it sorted, but would prefer not to have to take it in to the local stealers for them to tell me there is nothing wrong with it or they can't find the problem.

For reference the car is a 2002 with 46000 miles on the clock and an AUB engine.

Could it be a temperature sender or something like that?

Cheers,

Simon

Mine does the same. Not very often though... In fact, it's quite rare.

When it does happen, my girlfriend thinks I'm winding her up, patting the accelerator pedal.

For reference, 2000 X reg, 1.4 16v

Me too. Pretty much since I bought it (new). Only occasional - in fact a lot less frequent now than it used to be. Just a bit irritating (though very rarely it will stall).

02 reg 1.4 16v too

I have the same thing here, it happens especially when i turn the AC off, I say dont bother, it doesnt really affect anythin, i have the same thing for more than a year and nothing went wrong, its nice if ur exhaust makes a good noise actually :P

mine is an 02 1.4 16V 101 hp

I also have a 1.4 16v W reg....has done this now and again, infrequently from new. Had it to the dealers a few times to investigate....nothing found.

Lummox,

I've had the air box off and given the car it's first new air filter since it was built!

There was a little oil in there, but given that it hadn't been off for the last 5 years and 46000 miles, not that much.

I think it depends on the year of manufacture and engine code as to how much C02 it emits and hence how much the tax is.

My 2002 1.4 16v looks like it will be

• 4 months later...

Hi, I've gotta 2001 1.4 16v 100bhp too. It does this every so often, however..

About 3 - 4 months ago I was having huge problems starting, and then once started after a huge amount of smoke it'd do this throbbing on the revs at idle.

The starting problem was traced to a intermitent read fault on the coolent temurture sensor.. basicially, the car randomly thought the temerture was jumping up and down in 20'C steps and mixing the fuel to air accordingly.. it'd quite oftan think it was at freezing on a mild day, mix to rich and hence, bad starting,..

Sorry this took so long to get relivent, but...

The new sensor calmed down the throbbing revs too! my theory.. the ECU kicks in to stop the car stalling!.. cut, rev,cut,rev etc etc.. On my car now, this happens maybe ten min into a journey (if at all).. (it also happens on my friends C2, and xsara).. I think its just the equivilent of the choke going off and the car dancing between choke off and low revs.. If it only happens for a short time every so oftan then.. my thoughts are it's actually normal behavior.. but I dunno for sure.

k, there ya go.. my thoughts.

Rob.

The car was idling at 1500 rpm in the traffic this morning when it had warmed up, so it's going in to the stealers for investigation.

You just reminded me.. mine did this before it got really bad.. once i'd just filled up with higher octane petrol and then thing idled at 2,000rpm.. shot of the fore court as wasn;t expecting it.. hehe, glad no one was in my way!

get them to check the read from the coolent sensor.. make sure it's a stable read out!

Rob.

Has anyone else had an issue with a 1.4 16v 100 bhp Fabia where the idle bounces between around 600 and 1200 rpm?

Mine does it occasionally when it is warm and I need to get it sorted, but would prefer not to have to take it in to the local stealers for them to tell me there is nothing wrong with it or they can't find the problem.

For reference the car is a 2002 with 46000 miles on the clock and an AUB engine.

Could it be a temperature sender or something like that?

Cheers,

Simon

Our Lupo 100BHP 16v has done this once, when the battery had run a bit low.

It went away after being run for a while, and hasn't reccurred since I did the trottle body adaption on it.

Having now had my car for a bit longer than when I first posted this thread, I have realised that the unusually high idle speed seems only to occur with the air conditioning on and is accompanied by a whining noise from the belts. The bouncing tick over very rarely happens now.