Amber Oil light and flashing glowplug symbol fixes

whitep

I have had 2 silly problems on my 2003 Octavia 1.9TDi Ambience. Easy to fix.

Firstly my Glowplug light started flashing and I was confused due to a recent full service being carried out recently. After poking around on the net and fiddling with things i realised I had recently put in 2 stop/tail light LED bulbs in the back due to regular faliure of standard bulbs. I also noticed that my high level break light was always on. I replaced ONE of the stop/tail light with standard ones (the one that didnt fail often) and the flashing glowplug light stopped and the break light was fine. I suspect low circuit impedance caused a confusion in the ECU. (LED's have lest electrical resistance to bulbs).

Secondly on a Motorway trip my Amber oil light lit up an the dash. I panicked and bought a litre of oil as soon as i could and dumped it in. It didnt go off. When i got to my destination i checked the oil level and realised i had about a litre too much oil. Basically it was telling me fibs. I couldnt get it to go off and I knew that before I bought the car it was replaced so doubted faliure of the oil sensor. Again poking arounf on the net and asking around it seemed it was going to lighten my pocket by the tune of

On wife`s Fabia, 1,4 16V 2000 model, the engine warning light (yellow) is lighting up now and then. The dealer tell's us the ecu is giving too low voltage to the Lamda and has to be replaced. (The Lambda)Good Lord! 600 Quid! Maybe I should try to disconnect the battery?

Sounds like you bonnet switch is knackered, You dont need a computer to reset the oil level light. The dash cluster does this when it recieves a signal from the bonnet catch switch as it assumes you opened the bonnet to top the oil up.