VRS Broken

Help went to garage refueled (with diesel before you all ask) came away from the garage there was a loss of power and a metallic rattling noise. Followed by more than usual black smoke coming out of the back and the orange engine management light coming on.

This was literally a minute from home (we were about to go shopping)

so brought it straight home.

Rac were called he has been has now idea what the noise is (thinks it sounds like a heat shield rattling) put the diagnostic tool in and it is coming up with a mass air flow fault.

So my question is this ........

What is likely to be wrong with my car.

(PS the wife uses it all week to take little one too and from school and then she potters to work. The vehicle is completely bog standard and the turbo went and was replaced june last year. Currently on 43K)

I thought that and that will be covered under warranty but what about the metal rattling.

If the MAF goes do you lose power (accelerating it really did feel like the turbo had been stolen)

the rattling could be worrying, wouldn't have an idea without listening to it! my car had a worrying squeek recently, and it was getting worse... after a visit to the dealer, it turned out it was as insignificant as a clip on the gear linkages that had come loose, 10 second job to fix...

but it could be bits of the turbo broken off and rattling around!

a common problem however is the pipe connecting to the intercooler popping off (do a search) and looses all power and smokes... and very easy to fix! the RAC would probably have picked that up though....

Nah he was an old bloke and the engine was "too hot to reach down to touch anything"

I gave him the obvious loose fallen off pipes, MAF, etc.

I had to show him where to plug the diagnostic tool into!!!!.:eek:

MAF faults will give a loss of power and higher fuel consumption

you didn't drive through any large puddles on the road ?

The wife says no not any really big ones. But how would you explain the metal rattle.

Having read the thread link posted by Decron this sounds like what has happened. Interesting though that the RAC chap didn't think so and got me to start and rev the car.:mad: