Introducing my chavtastic Fabia

]Unless the thread's shifted since I've been looking in, they're talking about a 1.4MPi, which uses pushrods and a short chain to control the valve timing...

Think you're right. Wouldn't have thought that the chain would have a tensioner would it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about that last statement. Sure, you'll lose drive to the alternator and water pump, which'll make the engine either cut out or overheat (whichever happens sooner), but you won't get a terminal piston-to-valve collision like would happen when a cambelt goes. Not contesting that you should avoid driving it until it's fixed, but I don't think it's quite as dramatic as the mechanic's told you IMHO!

thats reassuring, though time to call on the mechanic i reckon lol

well the photo best sums up where the noise comes from, it rattles. never increases with revs, always the same constant clinking sounds... i know i'm not describing this very well but you're talking to a 21 year old who never understood a haynes manual :rofl:

Thanks majorly for the comments though, appreciate whole heartedly she's an aquired taste - but it's been great fun this past month tinkering with the styling and really making it my own... photos to come soon...

Cheers again Dan

Think you're right. Wouldn't have thought that the chain would have a tensioner would it?

Not seen the innards of the 1.4MPi in the Fabia, but some pics of the inside of a 1.3MPi from a Felicia were posted on here recently (can't find them unfortunately), and AIUI, the timing parts are the same. Anyway, to cut a long story short, there wasn't a tensioner, as the drive and driven sprockets were only about 6" apart...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I think that Blonde87 is confusing a timing belt and the ancillary belt.

The timing belt is inside a cover on the offside end of the engine. It connects the crank and camshafts (and drives the waterpump too (maybe?)). If this goes, there's a good chance the engine will be damaged beyond economic repair.

I think that the belt in the photo is the ancillary belt which drives the alternator (battery charger) and maybe the airconditioning pump and water pump. If this goes the car will overheat and the battery will go flat but will probably be ok.

A timing belt has to be replaced after a given period, generally a chain does not. A chain is less prone to snapping than a belt but can get noisy although generally this isn't an isse per se.

totally agree with that!:thumbup:

the picture on this thread isnt the timing belt its the ancillery belt i have the 1.4 8v and a rattle noise comes from that exact place in the picture but im not that bothered as if it snapped it wont cause any damage as it not the timing belt. anyway the 1.4 8v has a timing chain and that picture certainly isnt a chain.

as for the white fabia pictures i love the front and rear bumpers they are very smart but the trolley handle and air vent are a massive no no:thumbdwn: what car is that spoiler originally off anyway as its certainly not a fabia spoiler its twice the width of the car:D