Locked Gearstick & Heavy Power Steering

Hi,

Had some problems with my Y reg Fabia 1.4 classic recently.

Power steering can be very heavy when first starting engine.

Had some fun on the road the other day when twice, I was changing gears and got stuck in neutral.

Came out of 3rd - aiming for 4th and got stuck - couldn't go into any gear at all - thankfully not on the flippin motorway!

Can someone help me out - I am under warranty so shouldn't be a problem getting it fixed.

Hi,

Had some problems with my Y reg Fabia 1.4 classic recently.

Power steering can be very heavy when first starting engine.

Does this happen just for about 30 seconds or so and as soon as you drive off your ok, but it only does it every now and then?

As it sounds the same as the problem I am having.

Have your headlights alsoever flickered.

I have a thread just down this page Electromagnetic steering where you will see that Skoda have told me there is nothing wrong with my steering.

Typically when they test drove it it never went heavy.

It's a bit of a mystery but might know more tomorrow.

Interesting, yes I have had flickering headlights.

The stick is movable, no crunching just wont go in to the selected gear.

Battery / alternator sounds possible as when I restart engine, I can feel a slight jolt in the stick like something s realigning

The mystery continues

Had my regular mechanic take a look today and he said that he could feel the steering going heavy and at times mega heavy to the point where if I was driving round a corner and it suddenly cut off it and you weren't ready for it it could be dangerous.

He has checked the wiring and stripped down the pump as much as he could but couldn't find anything. He said it could be an electrical fault but if nothing was showing up on the diagnostic machine then it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

He said all I can do is make it known to the garage that the fault was reported before the warranty ran out with my second hand dealer and to see if they will cover it if the poblem gets worse at a later date.

On a brighter note I got him to check the front ARB, drop links and bushes and all seems ok and there is no excess movement in them.

He didn't say but when I mentioned it to him when I dropped it off he said he would check but he doubted that would be it as I would have problems starting and then started rambling on about ampage of headlamps compared to power steering and god knows what.

There is a tyre and exhaust place that does battery checks for free near me I will pop in tomorrow morning and get them to put the meter on it for me just to know for sure.

My wife's sometimes won't select 1st, but putting it into 2nd and taking it out again, then putting it back into 1st (keeping the clutch in the whole time) is a good enough workaround until it's next in the garage. I've been told it's just an issue with the gear selection linkages, so just needs a bit of adjustment.

I'm sure it's been said on here than flickering headlight are a sign of PAS angle sensor failure, which might tie in with the steering problems you've been having???

Dunno if that's any use to you...?

I'm sure it's been said on here than flickering headlight are a sign of PAS angle sensor failure, which might tie in with the steering problems you've been having???

Dunno if that's any use to you...?

You would think so but Skoda are convinced there are no faults on the sensor and no water behind it and that I just have to wait for it to get worse then it might show up.

You would think so but Skoda are convinced there are no faults on the sensor and no water behind it and that I just have to wait for it to get worse then it might show up.

And you wonder why they don't like being referred to as SUK?! :rolleyes:

As for the condition of the battery, is your car new enough to have a 'magic eye'? They're not exactly accurate, but if the eye shows green you can be fairly confident it's not the battery that's at fault...

And you wonder why they don't like being referred to as SUK?! :rolleyes:

As for the condition of the battery, is your car new enough to have a 'magic eye'? They're not exactly accurate, but if the eye shows green you can be fairly confident it's not the battery that's at fault...

No never heard of one of them it's a classic 2000

They've been around a while (since at least '95 when I started driving) and they're usually the sealed long-life ones and have a "window" which is either green, amber or red. Average life of a battery seems to be about 5 years, although the last 3 cars I had all went before that. Mondeo turned 5 last month and is still on the original one!

Chris

From what Chris has said, you might well have one. If you do, it'll be in the bottom-right corner (ish) of the battery, and may be under a sticky-back plastic cover to protect it. If so, peel back the cover and shine a torch into the little window. If there's a definite green glow, the battery's OK - if it's orange, red, clear, mauve, fuschia or any other colour / hue, then the battery could well be on its last legs... Better details should be in the manual, BTW :thumbup:

Battery checked this morning and everything fine no faults on it and the charge is fine.

It has to be the sensor then?

2nd hand dealer said not to worry about it and as I have reported it within the warranty period if something happens over the next 2-3 months just let them know and they will sort it so can't complain to much.

I asked about a trade in value as am seriously thinking about getting rid I would only get just over

Had it in to the garage - no fault found - now what?

Join the club they told me I had to wait until it becomes more persistant.

However the other night I did notice the headlights only flickered when I turned the wheel and the more I turned it the bigger the flicker.

Intresting on another thread the chap that has the same problem changed his pump and sensor twice and it still does it.

Fabia 1.4,

It does sound like your sensor is on the way out, this happend to mine.

I would be turning then it would go heavy and the PAS light would come on then go off

headlights would flicker.

I changed the sensor for a new type (metal) took the old one off was the plastic type

and the PAS was fine for 4-5 months until the PAS pump died on me.

Now thats very expensive the dealer lightened my wallet by

Fabia 1.4,

It does sound like your sensor is on the way out, this happend to mine.

I would be turning then it would go heavy and the PAS light would come on then go off

headlights would flicker.

I changed the sensor for a new type (metal) took the old one off was the plastic type

and the PAS was fine for 4-5 months until the PAS pump died on me.

Now thats very expensive the dealer lightened my wallet by

So .. it continues...

Go on journey from Scarborough to Leeds on A64 on Sunday.

Go up big hill then get beeps and temp gauge is in red.

Stop car - no water!

Leave engine to cool down.

Fill up with water again, AA turn up do loads of checks including pressure check - find no problem

Drive back to Leeds - lift bonnet - no water.

Put more water in and check for leaks - find leak between water pump and main engine rack.

Take to Skoda dealers (D M Keith in Leeds) - diagnose that new pump and gasket is required - also - altimeter is faulty and hand brake needs tightening.

Fun and games, fun and games!

So .. it continues...

Go on journey from Scarborough to Leeds on A64 on Sunday.

Go up big hill then get beeps and temp gauge is in red.

Stop car - no water!

Leave engine to cool down.

Fill up with water again, AA turn up do loads of checks including pressure check - find no problem

Drive back to Leeds - lift bonnet - no water.

Put more water in and check for leaks - find leak between water pump and main engine rack.

Take to Skoda dealers (D M Keith in Leeds) - diagnose that new pump and gasket is required - also - altimeter is faulty and hand brake needs tightening.

Fun and games, fun and games!

Ouch!!!

How many miles has your car done?

Just coming up to 60,000.

2 - 3 Months a go had problems with oil sensor that kept coming on - dealer took it back and fitted a new water pump - obviously not done properly and now caused more problems - crappy garages - annoying!